Chapter 5

This chapter is dedicated to Sapphire_Pages for being the first to vote. Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Melle's POV

I couldn't help but laugh at my mate's attempt at insulting me. An oversized teddy bear really? Well at least it's original.

I think my laughter has angered her because now she's struggling harder. Suddenly I feel eminence pain which causes me to loosen my grip she breaks free and starts running towards a nearby car.

As she drives away I finally can stand and think straight again, then it hits me. She kneed me, she kneed me where the sun don't shine! (unless you're a nudist anyway.)

Even though I'm angry I can't help but feel proud I mean no one has ever won in a fight against me before, but here she was, a "weak" human who did it like she's done it her entire life.

Yes, she is human but she is also stubborn, and brave after all who knees their mate who in my case just happens to be Alpha? Even humans can feel our power, and with the mate bond you'd think she would have submitted.

But then I would expect nothing less from my... my mate.

Meoquamee's POV

I rush into the apartment and lock the door behind. I can not believe what I did, I feel terrible but what was I supposed to do just stand there and let a stranger act like I'm his long lost love? No way Jose.

Just then and much to my horror Kilala walked in, enraged she shifted flinging herself toward me!

This is gonna hurt.

I brace myself her claws dig in to my stomach but I grab her by her scruff before she can bite me. As I pull her away I can feel her claws ripping my skin I whimper slightly but don't let go.

I carry her to the kitchen sink turn on the cold water and hold her under the steady stream. She howls angrily.

I wait until she has calmed down then I turn off the water and carry her to the bedroom.
Setting her down I grab a dress out of the closet and lay it on the bed.

"Shift. Now." I turn my back and wait. I hear the familiar cracking and popping then Kilala taps my shoulder.
When I turn I see regret in her eyes. She plays with a piece of her hair and looks at the ground.

"I'm sorry I freaked out my cat got the better of me. Are you okay?"

"Yes"

"Why do you smell like...him...again?"

I could hear the hurt in her voice and I felt like a trader because of my feelings towards Melle.

"Because he hugged me"

Kilala's jaw dropped "YOU LET HIM HUG YOU?! HOW COULD YOU, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE MY BEST FRIEND! DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MONSTER DID? WELL DO YOU?!"

"He. Is. Not. A. Monster." I growl surprising both of us.

Kilala sighed "I think it's time you learn why I left the pack."

-------------

I wince as I reach up for the canister of flour. I was lucky Mr. Adams was in a slightly generous mood and didn't fire me, but after yesterday I was not in the mood for his constant verbal attacks.

As I mixed the cake batter I thought of what Kilala had said yesterday.

"Before I came to live with you, I lived in a pack. I had found my mate, and I was excited but also scared he would reject me because I'm not a werewolf. Melle found out about it before my mate realized and had me thrown out of the pack because he said I wasn't good enough for my mate.
That was the day I came to live with you. I have never forgiven him for that and I don't think I can. After smelling him on you it just brought back a lot of painful memories I thought I'd forgotten, but as it turns out they're as fresh and raw as the day they happened."

I sigh. How could I have been so stupid? I can't trust him, I shouldn't even like him, but I do.
I wasn't paying close attention and almost burned my self as I put the cake in the oven.
I heard the bells jingle and sighed I just wanted to sleep but I knew that wasn't going to happen anytime soon.

Well feet better start moving.

Melle's POV

It's been almost a full day that I've been unable to revisit my mate whose name I still don't know and might I add, I am dying to learn.

Truett strolled in and plopped unceremoniously down on one of my guest chairs.

"So how's it going?"

I knew what he was referring to. "Not so hot" I admit "it's like she hates my guts when she sees me she just heads in the other direction, I don't know what I did wrong. But I guess humans are just weird that way." My last comment made my wolf growl but I ignored him. He was taught the same as I was, so him acting all high and mighty is starting to get annoying.

Truett sighed "You know you're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but then this is coming from a man who doesn't have a mate, so I really am not an expert on these matters." He sighed again a faraway look in his eyes. "You know I used to think I could smell her sometimes but it must have been my imagination because I can't anymore."

"Don't worry, you'll find her."

"Maybe" he gets up to leave then pauses and turns back around "Why don't you go talk to her, maybe she'll tell you what's wrong."

"Yeah maybe, cover for me will ya, link me if you have to."

He just smiles and walks out.

Meoquamee's POV

I can smell him before I even leave the kitchen.

Oh boy this is gonna be hard. Okay you can do this just be civil he's just another customer it'll be fine this is your job.

"What can I get for you today, sir?" I say avoiding eye contact.

"Well, do you have anymore cinnamon rolls I never received the rest of my order."

"Of course, sir, it'll only take a moment."

"So... what's your name?"

"There you are sir. Twenty-one cinnamon rolls and here is you change."

"You didn't answer my question."

"Have a good day, sir." I turn to walk back into the kitchen but I'm caught by his vice like grip.
Turning I see his eyes have started to turn gold once more, that cannot be a good sign.

"I ask you a question, human." He growls angrily.

"I said good day, sir." I yank my arm away and once more attempt to leave, key word being attempt because I never actually made it. His arms encircle my waist pulling me back, I cry out in pain and try to escape but he turns me around. Concern in his eyes.

"What's the matter, did I hurt you?"

"Just let me go."

"Why?"

"Because I have work to do."

"Why did you cry out when I touched you stomach?"

"Non of your business."

He growls softly, and swiftly lifts up my shirt before I can stop him. He gasps at the many claw marks and scars that letter my abdomen.
He looks up at me with tears in his eyes.

"Who did this?"

I roll my eyes as if completely annoyed. "I have a very temperamental cat who does not like your scent so after the "incident" yesterday she totally freaked." I shrug and turn my gaze to the floor, hoping he buys it. It is after all the truth. Well, part of it anyway.

"I'll kill it if it touches you again."

I look up in shock finally making eye contact. "No you won't because if you did I would never speak to you again."

He whimpers slightly "Alright."

I turn to go but before I can stop myself I blurt out, "Meoquamee"

"What?"

"My name is Meoquamee." I can feel his grin as I rush back to the kitchen.

What was I thinking?!