Chapter 19

Meoquamee's POV

I rush towards my room. That man, who was he? He had to be a very high ranking wolf otherwise he wouldn't have dared to speak to Melle like that. But are there any higher ranks than Alpha?

Finally reaching my room I run in and head to the bathroom without thinking I begin the scent masking process. After I finish I feel safer but not completely, I walk back towards the kitchen knowing I'm way behind on my work.

Hearing voices coming through the open door I stop to listen.

"Melle I want, no, I demand to know why I smell a human here!"

There is silence for a full minute before Melle finally speaks again but when he does I feel my heart break in a thousand pieces.

"She was with the rogues for a long time and I needed information on them, I made her a member of the pack because I need to make sure the rogues can't get her back before I get what I need."

I should have known, I should have realised, how dumb can I be?! Of course he was just using me, why else would he take me out and accept me, a human into his pack, if not to gain information.

Squaring my shoulders and blinking away the tears threatening to spill down my cheeks, I walk into the kitchen nodding to the two men still conversing only now through mind link. I start the dishes and sweep up the broken plates.

Melle storms out looking ready to explode, but the other man stays behind growling and staring off into space. Snapping out of it he turned and stomped over to me. I bow my head respectfully, but this only seems to make him angrier. And he slaps me hard across the face, my head whips to the side, my eyes widen and mouth opens slightly in shock.

"You may be a member of this pack but remember this. You are still a human and always will be, your rank will always be Omega, because you are weak and useless. You are nothing but a slave, and if you ever disrespect or disobey anyone even a rogue, I will make sure you die a slow and painful death. Got it?"

I nod to afraid to speak, why couldn't I have just keep going that day and ignored Kilala when she tired to talked me into coming back, I would be safer and I'd still be in blissful ignorance of the real reasons behind Melle's actions. A growl brings me crashing back to reality.

"Where's your scent, I know you have one because it was here when I first came."

"I-I m-mask it-t Sir."

Another slap. "Who taught you how to mask your scent?"

"A r-rogue Sir."

"As long as you live here you will not mask your scent I want to know where you are and when you're approaching at all times do you understand?"

"Yes S-Sir."

"Good."

And with that he turns and strides out of the kitchen. Sighing in relief I turn back to the sink where a few dishes still remain unwashed. This day just keeps getting better and better. Note the sarcasm.

Melle's POV

I can't believe it, my father of all the Elders had to come now of all times, and for what reason to try and persuade me to mate with a Luna whose mate had died, leaving the pack without an heir. The Elders solution?

Have her mate with another Alpha whose mate has died, their territories will be combined and they'll be able to produce an heir, so problem solved right? Wrong.

Why? Simple, my father decided I should be the Alpha, not that my mate had died but because he wanted grandpups and I to his knowledge was still looking for my mate.

To make it worse I had to lie about Amee, since I couldn't tell my father I was mated to a human. And without being able to tell him I had found my mate I had no valid reason to refusing.

So my father being my father, decided to invite the woman to spend a week in my pack. Their presence was going to make it harder to spend time with my mate.

I'm not sure how much longer I can last without marking her. She's my mate and the rightful Luna for crying out loud. How Amee going to react when she finds out why the Luna is visiting, will she even care?

"Of course she'll care she's our mate."

"But she doesn't know that."

"True, but she does think she's our girlfriend."

My wolf is right I shouldn't worry Meoquamee will definitely care but after I explain I'm sure she'll understand, maybe.

I try to link her but her walls are up, I try to break through but for being new to mind linking she sure can make them strong. I was starting get worried, she's never blocked me out except for during practice but even then she didn't block me out for long.

Walking down stairs I try to locate her by her scent but it's stale like she's not in the house, out of desperation I go to the kitchen to wait for her return. Imagine my surprise when I walk in and find her caught up in lunch preparations.

Walking further in she stiffens slightly, turning around she bows her head. "Alpha."

"Why have you been ignoring me? I've been trying to link you for the past twenty minutes!"

She stares down at the floor and shrugs " I apologize Alpha, I must not be use to linking yet."

"That's a lie and we both know it, why were you ignoring me?!"

She clenches her jaw but otherwise shows no emotion, "I apologize, Alpha."

"You still haven't answered my question."

She opens her mouth to speak but before she can an announcement comes through the pack link saying the Luna would be arriving in a weeks time. Huffing I focus back on Amee.

"We'll continue this at a later date."

She makes no reply as I turn to leave but stop when another question pops into my head.

"Why can't I smell you?"

"I mask my scent."

"Why?" I must say I'm impressed, it's not often you find a human who knows how.

She shrugs "The man you were speaking with, wasn't happy he smelled a human so I thought it would be safer."

"How'd you learn to mask your scent?"

"Bram."

I can't help the small growl that escapes at his name, she sighs.

"Don't worry I won't do it on a regular basis."

"Good I like your scent."

She doesn't respond, instead she goes back to cooking. Taking it as my que to leave I walk towards my office, dreading what is to come.

Truett starts walking with me, as I mind link him to come to my office. Following me through my office doors, he shuts the door behind him.

"So what's up?"

I began filling him in on everything that had happened so far, hoping he could give me some desperately needed advice.