Chapter 35

It's been several days since I decided to enlist Vanessa's help. At first she didn't want to, being afraid of what the others would do to her if they found out, but after I had promised her a place in the pack and assistance in finding her mate she finally agreed.

Melle is currently getting the pack ready to attack, and Vanessa is here, guarding me. A loud bang echoes around the room signaling our time had come. Escape now or die trying. As we raced down the halls ferrell growls come from every side, when suddenly I'm knocked to the floor by none other then my beloved cousin.

"Not so fast, Dearie. You didn't really think you could escape without paying did you?"

I twist over trying to buck h her off but she just laughs like a mad woman, oh wait she is a mad woman.

"Get off of me!"

"Hmm how about no."

"I swear Janie, if you don't move I will hurt you!"

She just snorts at my threat. "Oh pa-lese, little miss I can't even throw a knife to save my life because it might hurt my attacker." Her voice raises an octave in mockery

"He was a pup, and I did throw the knife. He almost died!"

"Yeah right, stop being so dramatic." Sometimes it seems like I've stepped back in time to before any of this happened, but all to soon I'm snapped back to reality when I catch the gleam of a dagger.

She smiles sweetly. "I told you, you have to pay."

Before I can react she's thrown off of me and pinned against the wall, by (surprisingly enough) James!

"Didn't your mother ever teach you that stabbing family isn't nice?"

"She is no kin of mine, she lost that right when she stole my mate!"

"Can't you understand Luna Amee had nothing to do with Bram's rejection?! If it wasn't her it would have been someone else."

"No! It was Meoquamee, she seduced him into it. If not he wouldn't have left me, he loves me!"

"Even if it was her fault, will killing her change the past? No. You can never change the past but you can change the future by how you live today!"

For the first time in a long time Janie stops fighting and breaks down in tears, if James hadn't had her pinned against the wall she would have fallen to the ground. Just then Melle comes running up and engulfs me in a bear hug bearing his face in the crook of my neck. Instantly I try pushing him away I mean dude, I haven't showered in at least two weeks. I reak!

He growls pulling me closer still breathing in my scent. "Can you not do that until I've showered?!"

"You've just been kidnapped, had a near death experience and your worried about how you smell?"

I nod slowly after taking a few minutes to consider what he had said "Yeah pretty much."

I can feel his chest rumble as he laughs. "Don't worry you smell like heaven."

I roll my eyes "To you maybe but to everyone else I smell like the devil's sweat socks."

At this he throws his head back and laughs even harder, after a few minutes I reach up and wipe away a few tears from his still laughing face. As soon as my thumb brushes his cheek, he freezes mid laugh and sucks in a breath with his eyes closed.

"You don't know how much I've missed you."

"I've missed you more."

"That my dear Luna is impossible."

Leaning down he brushes his lips against mine in a slow sweet kiss. At first my mind goes blank and every bone in my body is begging me to deepen it, but of course I had to come to my senses before I could and push him away.

He growls in frustration raking a hand through his hair. "Let me guess, you haven't brushed your teeth either and even though I think you taste like paradise you think you taste like rotten meat and dead flies. So you refuse to kiss me again until you've had a chance to properly wash up. Correct?"

"You know me so well." I say grinning.

Picking me up and carrying me bridle style (even though I'm perfectly capable of walking.) He begins walking back in the direction of what I assume to be the exit. Resting my had against his shoulder, I close my eyes to the gore of the battlefield. Taking in deep breaths of my mates scent.

My mate, I like the sound of that.

Finally arriving at the pack house, Melle (of course) insists I go directly to the pack doctor, but after I assure him I'm fine and just want to clean up, we reach a compromise. I'll go to the doctor first thing after I clean up, and only if Vanessa gets a check up as well after all she was there alot longer than I.

The doctor, a young blond haired man with black square glasses framing his brown eyes and a name tag that reads "Dr. Ase" nods respectfully before beginning my examination. Of course he says I'm fine, just a little dehydrated and that I've lost some weight from my captivity, nothing major. However much to my chagrin they're keeping me for observation.

Next Vanessa enters for her exam. As soon are the door opens they both freeze, looking deeply into each other's eyes.

"Mate!" They whisper before rushing into each other's arms. Watching it all unfold is like watching a scene from a movie.

I pull Melle gently out of the room closing the door behind us to give them privacy, before we're lead down the hall by a nurse. As I'm settled in to the room Melle gets that "See, I told you, you needed medical attention. You should've listened to me, I'm the Alpha after all" look. Rolling my eyes I reach out and take his hand in mine, pulling him close.

"I brushed my teeth." Wow, so sexy! You really know how to turn a guy on don't ya?

He chuckles before leaning down until our faces are only a breaths distance from one another.

"Is that your way of saying you want to kiss me, mate?"

I feel my face heating up, and advert my gaze, nodding in embarrassment. Leaning down ever closer, lips just brushing mine he caresses my cheek lightly.

"Well, what's stopping you?"

My eyes snap back in surprise, meeting his loving gaze. Reaching my arms around his neck I raise up slightly to meet him. The kiss unlike our past kisses is filled with need as if he's afraid I might disappear. Finally pulling away he rest his forehead against mine.

"Nothing."