Chapter 31

Melle's POV

It been a week. Seven long, long days. One hundred and sixty-eight excruciating hours, ten thousand and eighty painful minutes, since my mate left. I can't sleep, I can't eat, I can't function. Truett and Adelaide have been running the pack for most of the time, since after reading Meoquamee's letter I haven't trusted James as much as I use to.

I know I'm going to have to step up soon since Adelaide will be leaving in a few days but I seriously doubt I can. I regret not telling her we were mates when I had the chance, I regret not announcing her status as Luna to my pack and hiding our relationship from my father. Maybe if I'd done things differently she would still be here, but now I will never know.

My heart says she would have still left if she had good enough cause but my mind refuses to except that. I blame myself and my wolf agrees. It is my fault, all my fault. I could have stopped this, could have done something but instead I just danced like a fool with my head in the clouds.

Sighing in annoyance I twist slightly to see my father who has just come though Amee's broken doorway and is now standing with his arms crossed feet in a wide stance and a very angry look on his face. Groaning I turn back around and face plant back into her pillow, taking in her beautiful scent.

"Get up."

I ignore him in no mood to be ordered around like some weak Omega, even if I'm acting like one.

"Get up now."

When I still don't respond I hear him growl in annoyance before speaking in a slightly lower voice.

"Get up Melle I need to talk to you.... about the Omega."

That got my attention! I shot up and launched myself at him.

"She is no Omega she is my mate and Luna! And now I've lost her, and it all my fault! Do you know how that feels, do you?! No, of course you don't, you and your stupid outdated thinking is the reason I've lost her, she didn't even know!" The last part comes out a whisper while I slump back onto her bed.

My father is silent for a moment but when he does speak his voiced is laced with pain and guilt.

"Yes I do, I do know what it feels like to lose a mate, I know what it feels like to feel it's all your fault. I still blame myself for your mother."

He closes his eyes and I know he's recalling my mother's death. "I know my thinking is outdated, and you were right. Your mate proved that to me." He swallows hard before continuing. "I never told you how your mother, my mate died, but I think it's time I told you."

I am in no mood to hear this but something tells me I should so I stay quiet waiting for him to continue.

"It happened about a week after you were born, I was away on pack business, since your mother had just had you I was afraid that it was to soon to take you both along, so I left you behind thinking the pack would be enough protection. I was wrong. Just a day after I left, the pack was attacked by hunters, they nearly wiped everyone out including your mother, before the were finally defeated."

For the first time in my life I see tears in my father's eyes. He takes a deep shaky breath before continuing.

"The hunters were humans. Humans killed my beautiful mate. They made her suffer, and they enjoyed it. That was the day everything changed, I no longer saw humans as innocent naive creatures but as devilishly cruel and cunning killing machines with no hearts. That's why I taught you to hate and stay as far away from them as possible. Your mate... Meoquamee... proved me wrong not every human is the same. I'm sorry."

I stare at him wide eyed. Did... did he just apologize... to me?! He has never and I do mean ever apologized to me let alone admitted he was wrong about something, and now, both at a time? Wow!

"I can't lose her father, I can't." I whimper. I know it probably sounds pathetic but I can't help it, it just hurts so much.

"You won't. Didn't you say she was with the rogues for a long time? Maybe one of them knows where she might be."

I sit straight up why didn't I think of that?! Of course Bram probably made her leave me.

"He is so dead!" My wolf snarls angrily.

"Alpha!" James burst in out of breath, his eyes wide with... fear?

"What?!"

"It's the Beta. He, he's found his mate!"

This cannot be happening.

I rush past him followed closely by my father, when we reach the living room I come to a halt staring at the two caught up in a loving embrace.

Truett looks up and smiles, a true smile filled with happiness and love. He pulls away slightly only to pull the woman to his side.

"Melle, I'd like you to meet my mate, Kilala."