Chapter 2 | Big, Bad Monsters

The town that had remained just below the castle and just through the thick forest was peaceful, just like it always was. Not a cloud hung in the sky as the sun fell slowly, gracing the baby blue canvas with shades of red and yellow. The only sounds that could possibly disturb the tranquility of the evening sunset were the joyous laughs of children and the occasional car driving by. Other than that, it was absolutely silent.

It was anything but silent in the house at the front of one of the small neighborhoods, with a pale yellow exterior that somehow blended well with mix of pale blues and greens sprinkled throughout the other neighborhoods. The owners of the home were off on a week long business trip, leaving their seventeen year old son in charge.

In celebration of the end of the school year, Andy had invited his small group of friends over. It was nothing too fancy; it was just a bunch of friends sitting around with drinks being jackasses to each other. Then again, what else could a group of seven teenage boys do?

"Oh, come on, Andy, you didn't find her at all hot!?" One of the boys in the group gaped, gesturing his arms so wildly that his Coke sloshed out a bit over the edge and dripped down his hand. His eyes, one of which bearing an eerily pale color contact, were nearly bulging out of his sockets as he stared at the pale, petite boy across the room.  "She was like- a fucking Goddess!"

"In probably more ways than one, am I right?" The youngest of the group snickered, elbowing Andy.

Andy shoved him a bit, looking away as his face turned a light shade of pink. "That doesn't even make sense, Vinny." He muttered stubbornly, tucking a piece hair back behind his ear.

"Oh, it would if you hadn't totally chickened!" Vinny nudged him with a crooked grin.

"Shut up! And, by the way, Josh, it's not like I'm ever going to see her again, so it's not a big deal." Andy uttered the last portion of his sentence into his red solo cup as he took a sip of the bitterly sweet liquid it contained.

Josh rolled his eyes and sat back against the sofa again. "The sexiest chick in school wants to have a little fun with you after school, you push her off, and, because of that, she sprained her ankle. Right, because that's not going to come back to bite you in the ass." He snorted, setting his cup aside. "You're seventeen, man! It's about time you get laid!"

"I don't want to get laid, fucking Christ!" Andy rubbed his eyes in frustration. "And it's her fault for wearing such high heels! How does she even walk in those things!?"

"I dunno, dude, I still think you're missing out." The one they all referred to as Ghost mused with a casual shrug, lounging beside Andy on the futon.

As of currently, he was free of all makeup and in plain jeans and a tee shirt, but on any other given day of the week he would be decked out from head to toe. He had a thing about keeping the rest of the guys guessing. So one day he'd be dressed normally, with his usual dark eyeshadow and sharply drawn eyebrows drawing attention straight away, and then the next he'd be in complete drag. It was so incredibly convincing that it took a few minutes before anyone could figure out it was him. That pleased Ghost, or it amused him, but the rest couldn't decide it that was impressive or plain scary.

Andy glanced at Ghost, raising a delicate eyebrow. "On what? High heels or fucking?"

Ghost tilted his head and shrugged. "Both." He mused again, "Don't knock it 'till you try it, is what I'm saying. Hey! I got a pair in my bag if you want to-"

"God, Hell no!" Andy groaned, getting up. "Alright, I'm going to go take a smoke outside, so if any of you assholes want to hassle me some more, that's where I'll be."

"Don't smoke too many!" Angelo shouted after him.

"You're in my house, therefore I'll smoke as many as I please." Andy snorted.

With that, Andy disappeared outside to the back porch, getting comfortable with his pack of cigarettes as he always did.

"He could totally pull them off, though." Ghost mumbled, mostly to himself, as he watched Andy through the window.

"What, the heels? I mean- I guess... He doesn't have the ass for it like you do, though." Kuza piped into the conversation, looking up at the rest.

"You know it, baby!" Ghost cooed, sitting up.

They all stared at Kuza with confused expressions, with exception of Ghost who gave a suggestive wink. "Oh, come on! We've all thought it." He grumbled, going quiet again.

A silence hung in the air for about a minute before CC finally asked the question that had been on all of their minds since it was mentioned only a few moments before. "So- why do you have heels in your bag?"

Ghost looked up from his nails and grinned lazily. "What can I say? Things get freaky sometimes, I like to be prepared. Do you wanna-"

"Okay, that's enough of that." Angelo cocked a brow at his smug friend that was now stretched across the futon. "We need to help out Andy. Any suggestions?"

"Help him with what? The kid is a wuss, that's his problem." Kuza laughed, "We can't help that."

There was a mumble of agreement among them, until CC lifted his head. "Or maybe we can..." His lips tugged up into a devious grin. "You know that abandoned castle up in the woods? The one that everyone always tells stories about?"

Angelo nodded slowly, pondering the thought that had been presented as he leaned forward a bit. "Yeah. Don't people say that's like, haunted or some shit? We don't wanna scare him that bad, do we?"

CC nodded in response, looking around at them to see if they were getting the message he was trying to put out. When no one showed any signs of understanding, he pinched the bridge of his nose. "I'm suggesting we have him go through the castle and learn how to man up." He groaned.

Vinny raised an eyebrow. "But... it's just an old castle. Sure, it's probably creepy, but not haunted. What are you, twelve?"

"Ouch, Vinny." CC rolled his eyes. "Of course it's not haunted, dumbass, but... we can make Andy believe it is..." He looked around at his friends as the realization dawned on them.

"This is going to be great." Josh smirked devilishly, different plots all formulating in their minds.

While Andy smoked through two cigarettes outside, the other six conspired and plotted how they were going to prank, or rather, help their friend. It basically consisted of them bouncing ideas around and Angelo either approving or totally shutting them down. When he arrived back inside, he was met with the calm, collected gazes of his companions.

"Alright, who took what, and what did you do to it." Andy sighed heavily, looking around to take inventory of what was in the room.

"No one took anything, doofus. We just... figured out a way to help you out." Vinny stood and put an arm around him, leading him to the couch to take a seat. As soon as he was seated, they were all rapidly explaining the deal, which it seemed Andy would have no choice in the matter. His face drained of color, his body going rigid.

"No. No way, I am not going in there. It's fucking creepy in there!" He shook his head.

"Aw, c'mon, it won't be that bad! We'll go with you to protect you from the big, bad monsters." CC pinched his cheek teasingly. Andy swatted his hand away and crossed his arms looking out the window.

"Fine." He agreed reluctantly, earning loud cheers from his friends.