Chapter 5 | Creatures

Ricky's dual colored eyes shined under the moonlight. His teal flesh lined with inconsistent rows of stitches were too realistic to be faked. Even a wizard with makeup like Ghost knew that. Whatever this being was in front of him, it was some freak straight out of a horror movie. Even with all the silver screen villains he's seen, no film could prepare him for encountering a real life monster.

Ghost backed up, only to trip over the chest he had pulled over the hatch as a barricade. His breathing was uncontrolled and frantic, like his movements. He turned around and tried his damnedest to get out.

"Wait!" Ricky called after him as he rose to stand, "Please don't leave. I won't hurt you."

"Tell that to your friend with the freaky as glowing eyes that chased me up here!" Ghost retaliated while fighting with the heavy chest.

"The others don't want to hurt you either. They just don't want you in their house." He responded.

"There's others? Besides you and the glowy one?" Ghost asked, horrified. Ricky hesitated, but nodded. "Well I'm going to get the fuck out of their house, so they don't have to worry."

He began to pull open the hatch that he'd now uncovered. Ricky knelt down hurriedly and put his hand over Ghost's. The human looked up into the monster's eyes as he said, "I want you to stay. Please, I won't tell the others you're here. They might not like humans but I... I want to get to know you. My creator was a human, so I know you can't all be bad. Please stay."

He sighed and let go of the door, "I guess it is safer up here with you than it is down there with the ones that do hate me."

Ricky earned a half hearted smile. He stood back up and ushered Ghost over to the dusty bench near the window. "My name is Ricky, by the way."

"People call me Ghost." He responded.

The monster turned his head, confused, "Why would you be scared of us if you're a ghost?"

Ghost stared at him for a moment, just as confused as to what he was saying. Then it sunk in and he shook his head with a laugh, "No, no. I'm not a ghost. That's just what people call me. A nickname, ya know?"

"Oohh, so you are human? An alive human?" Ricky asked.

"Last time I checked, yeah." He snickered, "So, um, how many of you are there?"

"Monsters, you mean? Well in the world, hundreds. In this house though, there's six of us."

He nodded, "What, um, what are they? Like what kind of monsters? And why do they hate humans?"

"They all have their own reasons." He responded, "Jinxx, he's the oldest and he's a mummy. When he was alive and a human himself, people worshiped him. He was a pharaoh, one of the last ones from what I understand. When he died, a curse was put on his tomb that if anyone disturbed his eternal rest, he would rise again and never reenter death. Well it did get disturbed by archaeologist and the reason he hates humans for it is, he was with his wife in the afterlife. They took him away from her. At some point he was caught and brought over to Transylvania to be studied, but he got out.

Jake is the next oldest. He's a werewolf. I can't remember exactly how he became one, I just remember it was back in the 1500s. People didn't understand what werewolves were because they'd never change form in front of humans. Humans just knew that there was an intelligent kind of wolf out there that was huge, and a pelt like that would bring in a lot of money. Jake was hunted relentlessly by humans, until he eventually met Chris and they started to protect each other.

Chris is a vampire. He's been around since the 1700s. He's kind of where the Dracula legend started, actually. He was fine, up in his castle with the love of his life. No one even knew either of them were a vampire. The humans hated him because he was gay. Then, in the process of them trying to attack him for it, they found out he was a vampire and killed his husband. Chris probably hates humans the most out of any of us, but can you blame him?" Ricky softly smiled, "Him and Jake met each other when they were both trying to run from humans. They heard about Jinxx being trapped and put on display like an animal, and that's kind of how he got out.