Chapter 25 | The Gypsy

There's nothing of much interest on a ceiling. Yet it's all Ghost had been staring at all day. He didn't bother coming down for lunch when his mom called. She was surprisingly not very upset he came over. It came as a shock, but she was just happy her son came around her without being forced to. As the smell of dinner wafted in the house, she called for him with no response.

Finally, his mom walked her way upstairs into his room and opened the door. Ghost glanced over at her just to see who had barged in. Then he returned to staring at the white ceiling. His mom sighed and sat down beside him on the bed.

"I know you don't like to tell me about your life ever, but is there anything I can help you with? I don't like seeing you this way." She said.

Ghost looked up at her. He thought for a moment about what to say or if he should say anything at all. "Did you know about dad's other job?"

Her hesitation told him all he needed to know. "Other job?"

"His job as a hunter." He spoke as a he sat up, "You know what he hunts?"

"Did you find out?" She asked.

"Yeah," He sighed, "But he wasn't the one that told me. It was actually kind of the thing he hunts that told me."

Her breath got caught in her throat, "I didn't know there were any left in this town."

Ghost raised his head to look at her, "Why didn't you tell me? About that world?"

"You were better off not knowing. Knowledge is power and power makes you a target. The only thing your father and I ever agreed on was it was best to protect you."

"I'm sorry but I don't see how lying protects me." He muttered. Ghost glanced out the window, which was covered with a thin black curtain. "I'm not hungry, by the way."

She stood up off of his best. "That's fine. Leftovers will be in the fridge if you change your mind."

His mom left the room, closing the door on her way out. Her mind seemed preoccupied. The subject came off to him as a touchy one too. He figured to leave it alone. Ghost continued to stare out his window. He got off his bed and pushed back the curtain. The castle was in distant view. There really wasn't anywhere in town you couldn't see it up on that hill.

There was something about that place that felt like home to him. Maybe it's true what they say; home is where the heart is. Or, maybe it's because they were outcasts like he was. He didn't care much for the reason. All Ghost knew was that he wanted to go home.

| | |

After what seemed like an eternity of walking, Angelo was getting impatient with Chris. He had never asked Chris about where they were going, but he was a little frustrated the information had been given yet. That kind of seems like something you tell someone when you drag them through the woods for hours.

"Sooooo... Where are we going?" He finally asked.

"To see an old friend," Chris responded, "His name is Nikki Misery. He's a gypsy. You know, crystal ball, floating tables, talks to the other side. Shit like that. He also dabbles in voodoo."

"You think he can help me?"

He sighed, "I hope he can. We should be getting close. He does move around a little bit but for the most part he stays in this general area."

Angelo raised an eyebrow at him, "And if he's not here we just walked a half a day for nothing?"

"Calm down, calm down," He patronized him, "I know what I'm doing."