Chapter 21 | The Reaper

On the outskirts of town, laid that tiny, dingy retirement home. It was lacking color in the way it looked drained of life. Chris reluctantly pushed open the front door. No one else was around at this time of night. The surrounding streets were vacant aside from the lone shining streetlights. Inside, the receptionist hadn't broken her eyes away from her paper.

"I'm sorry, Sir. Visiting hours are over." She mumbled. Chris repressed a sigh for her incompetence and cleared his throat. She looked up and shuttered a jump at his looming presence. "Uh-hum, I-I'm sorry, Mr. Cerulli. How may I help you?"

"Let me see the residence log." He replied dryly.

The receptionist fumbled with some papers on the desk. She was nervous, which was something that only annoyed him at this point. After some frantic searching, her shaky hands gave him a white binder. He opened it and scanned quickly through the names. Upon closing it, he handed it back to her.

"I'd like to see Mateo Parente and Arthur Biersack, please." He stated.

"Follow me." She said in a small voice.

And so he did follow. She lead him to a living room looking area. A few older folks sat around. Most importantly, the two he was looking for sat beside the window at a chess game. Everyone in the home stared at him. Some knew who he was, while others were simply disturbed by a 6'4" goth man walking into a senior living center at eight PM at night.

Chris approached the two elderly gentlemen calmly. They barely took a glance at him, but that's all they needed.

"So you are more than a myth." Arthur grumbled.

He smiled lightheartedly, "Not all ghost stories are just stories."

"Well," He responded, "You may be Dracula, but you aren't the reaper, so what do you want with us?"

He slowly sat down at the empty chair at the small table, "Please, call me Chris. I'm here to talk about your grandsons. Andy and Angelo."

Both men tensed up. Mateo was the first to look up at his companion with concern. He then turned his head to look at Chris, somehow not afraid of the legendary monster. "What do you want with my grandson?" He hissed.

He grit his teeth in frustration, "He's inherited a certain family trait. So has Andy. I know very well you two are the last remains of your families that know anything about that certain family trait. I need to know how much the bloodline has diluted it, so I know what I'm dealing with here."

"You aren't dealing with anything, because it's non of your concern." Mateo seethed.

"It became my concern when them and their stupid friends decided to break into my castle. Now Ashley and Andy are dating and Andy is setting my trees on fire!" He quietly stressed, "I need answers. I already have figured out Angelo is descendant of Azrael's sister."

"The wiccan gene is present in every generation, but it is dormant in most. My mother was the last to have it. Myself and none of my children got it." He said.

"Our family had relatives tied to the Bishop family." Arthur reluctantly responded.

Chris' eyes narrowed, "As in Bridget Bishop?"

"The one and only." He muttered, "My late wife showed signs of power, but the last true witch of the family was Andy's great aunt who is now passed. I take it you weren't a fan of Mrs. Bishop?"

"I hate that little bitch more than Abagail Williams. She was never a pain to me in my lifetime, but the afterlife is another story." He scoffed, "Supernatural beings are naturally drawn to each other. Do you know if any of their friends could possibly be as well?"