Chapter Ten

"You do realize that if you are taking me to some kind of trap, that I will not hesitate to kill you?" I asked with a raised brow, looking at Tenoos as he walked before me. Broad shoulders cast a shadow over me as we walked through the gardens, met with the sound of children laughing in the distance. It was a peaceful day, filled with promise of the unknown. But, there was also the lingering feeling of dread. What if this was some kind of test? And I had already failed? Surely there was not much else that could be done to humiliate me anymore? I had no pride left, no privacy, no dignity. I was a shell of a woman that had once been. Even the way that I walked seemed to be slightly different as of late. That worried me. Because, if I did not act or walk like the woman and warrior that I had once been, how would my people know it was me when I was able to return home?

            Tenoos chuckled, looking at me with a smirk, his silver scar shining in the colorful light.

            "I would expect nothing less from you, Vixas." I found my lips curling up slightly into a soft smile. He was not bad company, and there was a sense of ease that radiated off of him. It was comforting, reminding me of a cool breeze on a hot day: refreshing and calming. I was grateful for that.

            "Will you tell me where we are going then?" I asked as we walked to the gate of the city, the mouth of the arch open and waiting. Stopping for a moment, he went to whisper words to an awaiting guard. They nodded and spoke few words, but they seemed to hold great meaning. I looked up then, seeing the bubble over the city and palace ripple slightly as a great beast swam above us. I could see the purple and blue scales as the tail moved from side to side, fins helping it glide in the water. I smiled, watching as the cubs of the mother followed close by, chirping and singing as they swam in circles around the mothers tail. I could make out whisker like appendages on their lips, large green eyes on the sides of the head. They were beautiful, graceful, seeming to just be floating on nothing. It was almost hypnotizing.

         "You will need to wear this," Tenoos said as he handed me a dark cloak. I looked at it as he reached out his arm towards me. Tilting my head to the side, I looked at the fabric closely. It seemed tough, thick, and old. It held a distinct smell that I couldn't quite describe, but it was not putrid. It would be find to wear. With the color a soft brown, reminding me of wet dirt, I took it and placed it over my shoulders, allowing it to hang off of my body. Tenoos did not wear one, but did grab a key, placing it on his hip. Making quick work to tie the cloak around my neck, making sure the string was tightly knotted, I placed the oversized hood over my head. I would not look like myself to anyone that did not know me.

         "Now will you tell me where you are taking me?" I asked with a smirk, following behind Tenoos as he walked under the gate, leading us from the palace to the city. This would be the first time that I would be venturing beyond those coral walls. And I found myself feeling... almost giddy from the knowledge that Kratos would surely loose his head if he knew of this. And that made it all the more enjoyable.

        Stopping for a moment, Tenoos turned to me and pulled the hood over my eyes slightly, causing me to bend my head down to be able to see. I suppose this would be a good thing, not allowing anyone to see. This was all so new to me, I had never hidden myself before. It was odd... but fascinating at the same time. My bare feet padded against the stoned pathway as we walked down the slight slop that lead to the palace. I could hear the sounds of children laughing more clearly now. It caused me to slightly walk faster, an urge to see life other than that in the palace growing stronger. Tenoos smirked down at me, but never spoke a word.

         We walked in silence, my eyes scanning around as the hood shadowed my face from sight. I looked around, seeing the world differently up close. The flowers were in full bloom, a steady stream babbling beside the shops as people rushed in and out, some smiling, some too busy to make any facial expressions. Tilting my head to the side, I watched as we walked past a bakery, the smell of fresh bread and sweets wafting into the air. Taking a deep breath, smelling the sugar and bread, I felt warm. The sweetness reminded me of honey from the honey trees that would litter the land, mixed with the natural sweetness of Lilies of the Valley: a sweet flower that bloomed after the new cycle began.