Chapter Eleven

Thank you for being patient with the updates, my loves. I have a very busy life... and there's been some positive changes happening to my family lately. It'll take a little while to find a rhythm, so please continue to be patient. Anyway, let's get into the chapter!

Enjoy my loves. :)

______

           Maketis walked before me, helping drag the large beast up the side of the mountain. The sun was slowly sinking into the glass sea once again, causing the sky to become that of a soft orange and pink, reminding me the flowers that bloomed on the bark of Mother Tree. Today was the final day of my teachings, along with all of those that surrounded and taught with me. I had been given the honor of hunting the great beasts that would be the feast for the celebrations tonight. Finally, after so many years of teaching, blood, sweat, and fatigue, I had finally finished that of which was set out before me. Though I had a path laid out before we, which I had followed carefully for several cycles now, my journey -my true journey- was only just beginning.

          The smell of burning wood filled the air as the darkening sky washed over us, the sound of warriors cheering and chanting around the fire consuming me and causing me to quicken my pace, allowing me to move before Maketis, who now followed. A splitting smile was on my face as I could see my Father stand by the fire, his body covered in scars and war paint as he crossed his arms over his chest. With white hair, I resembled him far more than my Mother, but to me it was a great honor.

       "You seem to have suddenly remembered why we went on the hunt." Maketis said behind me, his face never showing any emotion. I simply smiled over my shoulder at him, only to cause him to shake his head at me in disbelief. Yes, for a few fleeting moments, I had forgotten why we were to hunt the beasts, but it was only a moment.

         "Can you blame me for wanting to hurry? I believe Mother Tree shall lose her leaves at the end of the cycle before we reach the fire." I said teasingly, only to see Maketis smirk slightly before stopping completely, bringing us to a halt. "Why are you stopping?" I simply asked, dropping the beast to turn to look at him. He simply bent to lift the beast over his shoulders, motioning for me to follow with the smaller beast. Shaking my head as I let out a sigh, I did as instructed, knowing more than well to not go against an order. It was customary to follow the leader of the pack, and with Maketis going to be announced tonight as the chief, I was thrilled and filled with sorrow.

         "Always so curious, little one. No more questions." He simply said, only walking forward towards the fire as I placed the beast on my shoulders. Taking a breath, I followed behind, feeling the warmth of the large beast on my shoulders and neck, shielding me from the slight wind that was starting to cause the grass blades to sway in a dance as old as time.

        The night grew dark, the beast was cooked, and the dances were danced. Maketis stood beside the fire with my Father, his stance the same with his arms crossed over his chest, his braid flowing down to the top of his knees. With their stance wide, they simply watched over the tribe as we ate and drank, speaking of stories of old, and the telling of the future of our people.

        "Gather children... Gather and know the tale of our peoples future." I hear Nina say -the seeker of the tribes. With greying white hair and dark grey eyes, it was no wonder how she could see the things of the past and future so easily. Mother Tree flowed through her, along with the spirits of our ancestors. I watched as my Mother moved to stand with my Father, standing between his legs as he moved the strands of her braid around his fingers, listening carefully. Maketis took a step forward, watching the flames of the fire, tilting his head to the side slightly, causing a stray hair to fall over his face.