Chapter Five

Chapter Five:

“We told Rylan that he had to slap Big John’s bare butt in the locker room if he didn’t make the goal. Of course he didn’t make it so he had to do it and now Big John thinks that Ry has a crush on him.” Ty slapped his knee and chuckled. He was animated as he was telling me a few locker room stories. I am shocked about some of the things they do, who would have thought the soccer boys were so disgusting?

We had met up again in the library during the first part of lunch and this time I didn’t mind him taking my favorite table by the window. Surprisingly I didn’t mind giving up my reading time to hear him talk about his life; it was nice to get a little more insight on his personality.

He took a breath before speaking again. “Me and Ry were always getting in trouble with his mom when we were younger. Their house has an attic and the entrance is through the garage. One time we snuck up there and started pounding on the floor and jumping up and down making howling noises. It scared his mom so bad that she screamed so loud the neighbor came running over. We came down and she was telling their neighbor that her house was haunted by the Grudge and she was going to die.”

“I’m guessing she eventually found out that you two were behind her scare?” I leaned forward and laid my head down on my arms as I watched his eyes light up.

“Of course, she was so mad. She made us do housework for a week straight. I didn’t even live there and she forced me to come over after school every day and help Ry.”

“So Rylan is your best friend I assume?”

“Yep. Has been since we were ten.” He pushed his glasses back up on his nose. He really needs to get a better pair of glasses that actually fit. I’m always seeing him push them back up. I don’t even see why he is wearing them since he has good eyesight but I guess it’s a part of his new identity.

I couldn’t help but bring up the one thing I’ve noticed since he came to school as Bryce Acklin. “Then why don’t you hang around with him anymore? You two are always together at school.”

His eyes narrowed and his lips pulled down into a frown. “Because.”

“Because why?”

“Just drop it Jaidyn.” He hissed through his teeth. Ouch, I think I touched a nerve.

“Why won’t you just tell me the reason behind this whole change? I’m sure I’m not the only one who has noticed what’s going on. Rylan’s your best friend, I’m sure he knows why you’re doing this unless you’re hiding it from him too?”

Pushing back his chair he stood up and leaned across the table invading my personal bubble like usual. I could smell a hint of the starburst he had eaten earlier on his breath as he spoke. “Drop. It.” Each word came out like ice, making me shrink back into my chair.

“Fine.” I pushed back my chair and stood up grabbing my stuff. “I’m going to eat with my friends if you’d like to come?” I really didn’t want to get into an argument with him over it. I just wish that he would tell me but I guess I don’t blame him because he’s only just begun to get to know me.

He stood still for a second watching me before letting out a sigh and grabbing his books. Offering him my hand which he looked at curiously before taking it in his, I dragged him out of the library and towards the cafeteria.

Before entering the cafeteria Ty tugged on my hand and pulled me towards him. His eyes gazed into mine and I could see a hint of guilt flashing through them as we stared each other down. “Look Jay, I’m sorry for snapping at you.”

Do I hear the choir singing? Ty Caiona actually apologized to someone? What a shock! I thought jerks didn’t apologize. “It’s fine. Let’s go eat, I’m starving.”