Bity Drops

Christian: I blinked, momentarily disoriented as I sat up slowly. My eyes hurt and my head thronged painfully. My hunger was nagging at me as well. My eyes finally adjusted to the light that hung precariously on the ceiling, watching me from above. It was softly lit, and I wondered if maybe they used it for the Moroi patients that came through here. I had no clue, and a thought came to my mind as I looked around once more. Where the hell was I?

I don't think they would have taken me back to the Academy. Largely because I was no longer a student there, but tha t didn't entirely mean that would juat turn away a Moroi, and a royal Moroi at that.

My sensitive eyes turned towards the door that had opened and I saw Dimitri and Alberta come in. I looked for Lissa, but didn't see any signs of her. I hoped she was alright.

"Lord Ozera." Alberta said as she came to my right side, as Belikov stood near the wall, arms folded across his chest. "How are you feeling?"

"Achy feeling, I suppose." I answeredquickly, mind still on Lissa's life. Was she alright? I hope to God like hell that she was.

My eyes flicked over to Dimitri who was still leaning on the wall, not saying a word. I saw that he wore his brown duster with a grey shirt underneath with a pair of comfy black pants and shoes.

"Where's Lissa?" I asked

"She's still at the Cabin, Lord Ozera. " Alberta said, " you'll see her soon enough." I figured that Alberta was doing most of the talking while Dimitri was destined to stay quiet.

"Can I call her? I have to know if she's alright. " I said as I felt panic begin to settle in. I needed to hear her voice, which was completely weird, since you think I'd want to focus on myself, but no, I was worried about Lissa.

"Mr. Ozera." Alberta began, " with all due respect, Princess Vasilisa shouldn't be your first concern; your health should."

"I don't give two craps about my health!" I said loudly. " Now are you going to let me talk to her or not?"

Alberta pondered in thought, and then looked over to Dimitri. " What do you think, Guardian Belikov? "

Dimitri pushed off the wall, going to sit at a nearby chair that was seated by the hospital bed. "Let him have ten minutes with the princess, then we can discuss his health issues."

Alberta sighed and finally agreed. " Okay. Ten minutes, that's it though."

She fished for her cell phone and handed it to me as I quickly dialed Rose's number, because I hadn't had the chance to program Lissa's new number in.

A few seconds later, Rose answered. "Guardian Petrova, I hope Christian is doing well. We're all very worried about him. "

"It me, Rose. Put Lissa on."

A few seconds, Lissa's soft voice was on the line. "Hello?"

"Liss?" I said, a bit breathy, God I was nervous. " it's me."

"Oh my goodness, Christian!" Lissa said with a mix of relief and worry. "Are you okay? What's going on? No one will tell me anything."

"Whoah, Lissa. Calm down. I'm fine. I should be out in two days and I'll see when I get out, alright? "

She sighed and said, "Okay. I love you, Christian. Be safe."

"I will, love you too." I hung up and handed the phone back to Alberta.

My eyes landed on Dimitri, who sat in a chair, watching Alberta and I talk. I wondered if something was wrong with him, because he seemed to be in thought.

"You okay, Belikov?"

He seemed to snap out of the daze he was in and was fully in Guardian mode now. "Yes. So the health issues?" He eyed Alberta.

" Christian, do you remember anything? Why you're here?"

"Panic attack, right?" I asked.

Dimitri nodded. " Yes, that's part of it, Christian. The other factor that Docotor Dalton is saying is that you had a low intake of blood. Supposedly, you've haven't taken any blood in the last three weeks. Which causes you to feel weak, or even moody."

"What!?" Alberta exclaimed, watching me now with emotion in her eyes that I couldn't quite place. " why haven't you've been consuming blood, Lord Ozera?"

I looked down at my hands, not daring to say a single word. How would they react? Would they try to cram blood down my throat? Or would they tell Lissa, and that thought was unbearable as it is. I didn't want Lissa to know anything about my issue with blood, but at the same time, she was also my Guardian and should know.

"Mr. Ozera. You need to tell us now. Your life is at stake." Alberta pressed.

"I can't!" I shouted, panic rising in my throat now as I looked up at the both of them. Couldn't they see that I didn't want to talk about it?

"Um, Alberta. I don't think it is wise of us to force Lord Ozera into talking. It will just make him unwilling to talk more." Dimitri said.

Alberta sighed and backed away in defeat "Alright. You're absolutely right. We can't force information out of him."

Dimitri turned his gaze to me and said gently, " You need blood, you understand that without it, your life is very, very short of living expan without. "

I let our an irritated sigh. "Yes, I fucking understand that! That's why I force myself to take 'bity drops' from animals whenever I can."

"You can't live off of 'bity drops' forever, Mr. Ozera. " Alberta said. "You're going to need human blood, and soon."

"Look, it's been working for me ever since I was five. There's really no reason for me to stop just because I passed out."

"Your health!" Alberta said loudly now, glaring at me disapprovingly as she continued her tirade." That's exactly why, Mr. Ozera."

Dimitri came up to her side now, pacing his hand on her right shoulder. "Why don't we let Lord Ozer rest?"

Alberta let out a sigh and nodded in response as she backed away more from the bed I laid at as they both exited the room. I sighed, and looked up at the ceiling. God, I hated saying what I juat said, but I hated to be put on the spot like that, and I was pretty sure that when I had went back to the Cabin in two days, I'd endure more and more questions from everyone else, and that absolutely bugged the shit out of me.

I sighed and turned on my side, knowing I needed some sleep. After a while, sleep finally took me.