Chapter 28 - The Deal

Chapter 28

“So, you have anything planned for Christmas?” Mitch asks nudging me as we try to find a clean table in the busy food court.

I shrug, “Saying goodbye to my social life, shutting down a hot guy, ruining any chances of me ever getting an actual decent boyfriend, nothing major.”

Maddy sighs, hauling her bag up her shoulder in irritation, “You seriously need to get this Jake issue sorted out Hale. It’s just getting silly now.”

“I know.” I breathe out, “I just don’t know what to say… or do for that matter.”

Mitch suddenly trips over a chair but somehow manages to twist mid-air and make it look like she was totally going to sit right there.  “Tell him how you feel.” She says simply smoothing her hair down casually. “I’m pretty sure that’s all he wants.”

I slump down onto the chair next to her, leaning forward onto the table and propping my head up with my hands. “I’ve tried… Quite a few times actually. But we’ve been interrupted so much I’m beginning to wonder if someone or something doesn’t want us together… On top of that I think he’s given up now… Sometimes it seems like he doesn’t even want to talk to me anymore…”

M&M share a look, “Whatever you say Hale,” Mitch finally says, unconvinced.

“Do you want us to tell him for you?” Maddy asks, twirling one of her beaded rings around her finger.

I sigh while pushing my hair out of my eyes, “No… that wouldn’t be right… I guess I’ve just gone back to dropping hints… I mean, I know I’m being pathetic–”

“Totally Pathetic.” Mitch agrees.

Maddy glares at her, “Shut up and go buy some food. You’re not really helping here.”

Mitch flashes sheepish grin at her, “You wouldn’t have your wallet on you by any chance?”

Giving an A+ eye-roll, Maddy hands her wallet over without a word.

“I’ll pay you back!” Mitch calls over her shoulder as she makes a bee-line for the Mexican store.

“She’s been saying that ever since 5th grade.” Maddy grumbles to me before shaking her head, “Anyway. Back to your tragic love-life. If you don’t get with Jake soon I’m going to superglue your lips to his and then desperately find something to get rid of it once you guys realise each other’s feelings.”

“What about you and Tom?” I shoot back at her, raising an eyebrow, “Maybe I’ll have to do that to you guys because, frankly, I’m sick of you making googly eyes at him in art and pretending to hate his annoying announcements about joining the circus or Broadway.”

She crosses her arms and leans back in her chair, giving me a cool stare. “You’re tricky, Parker.”

I shrug, coiling my hair over my shoulder, “Get with Tom and I’ll get with Jake.” I say in retaliation.

She stares at me for a minute, thinking it over before sticking her hand out to me, “Deal.”

I shake her hand once, “Deal.”

“Burrito’s for all!” Mitch suddenly exclaims, dumping the tray on our table. “So what’s this deal about?”

I give Maddy a smirk across the steaming hot food and she seems to register what I’m thinking. “We’re going to confess to the guys we like.” I say simply.

Mitch sits down and immediately begins unwrapping her burrito, “Finally! Jeez, I don’t know whether I should be more excited that Hailey’s getting with Jake or that Maddy’s finally getting with Tom.” I glance at Maddy and look back at Mitch smiling at her. “What?” she asks, her smile fading slightly as she takes a bite of her lunch.