Chapter 14 - The Baseball Bat

Chapter 14

“Thanks for the pasta Claire.” I get up with my empty bowl and Sam’s and head over to the sink.

“It’s not a problem Sweetpea.” She takes the dishes from me and continues washing up.

I pick up Sam and lean against the counter, “So I’m guessing your ‘sleepover bash’ with the girls was cancelled?”

She drops a bowl in the sink and turns around slowly, “Uh... yeah. Um, August had, uh, she called before dinner to, uh, say that she got a, um, she had to re-schedule it because she broke her... uh her friend’s in hospital... or something.”

I raise an eyebrow, “That’s funny. I thought I was on the phone before dinner.”

Her eyes widen and she gets a desperate look on her face,“Please don’t tell John.” She whispers, clutching at my arm, “I really didn’t want to go to the game tonight.”

I laugh “It’s ok, I won’t.”

“Can I tell daddy?” Sam asks.

Her eyes widen and I laugh, “Ok then. I think we should go find us a movie to watch. How about it?”

He nods his head at me, “I’ll only put it on though if you don’t tell daddy.” He thinks about it for a while but the lure of TV is too much and soon enough, we’re sitting on the couch watching Barney.

That Dinosaur seriously creeps me out...

Sam being the innocent, sweet kid that he is though sings along, laughing happily.

Claire joins us after a while and when Sam falls asleep during about the 10th episode, we both agree that it’s major chick-flick time.

“Do you have anything you feel like watching?” Claire says as she gets up and goes over to the DVD cabinet.

I shrug, “Um, anything’s cool with me.” My eyes shoot up though when she pulls out ‘Mean Girls’. “You watch that kind of stuff?”

She shrugs, “I’m still a teen at heart.”

I laugh but quickly stop when Sam stirs.

She pops the DVD in and sits back onto the couch with a content sigh, “It’s nice to not have any of the boys around. That’s the only reason why I like sports games. They all just drop everything and go.”

We laugh together but quickly shut up when the opening credits come on.

You may be wondering why I’m acting normal and not worrying about the ordeal with Lucy and Jake. It’s because I’m not. After school I’d gone to Mitch’s game like I’d promised. That’s where I worried. Since I didn’t have a ride home and Mitch didn’t have a ride home, we walked together half of the way before we had to split up in different directions. Realising that I was upset, she managed to find out why... (Being Mitch she found out through intense nagging, public tantrums, holding onto my leg and making me drag her through the streets... you name it, she did it... But I guess it was good that she persisted.)

 We decided I would tell Jake about what had happened... but a more subdued version. He didn’t have to know everything...just that Trent tried to kiss me. Anyways, he didn’t deserve to know the truth. I mean, one minute he was getting all pissed off at Lucy for saying they were together and the next thing I know they’re checking out the insides of each other’s mouths. Like, don’t get me wrong, I don’t really care who he’s swapping spit with... but since its Lucy, I’m not really happy... I’m so sure she had a part to play in the whole fiasco with Trent. I just know it.