Chapter 32 - Enchanted Trees Suck

Chapter 32

“Ok, take a left at the end of the street…The side closest to the window. Your window. Put your indicator on Hale. No the left one. We’re going LEFT. TURN LEFT HAILEY!”

“Shut up. Shut up. Shut up!” I scream back at him, trying to figure out how to turn my indicator on. My foot jumps on and off the accelerator as I try to keep a nice even pace but then half break whenever I think I’m getting too fast. I’m slowly merging my car into the wrong lane and Jake’s hanging onto the back of his seat and the door handle for dear life as I accidently accelerate down the street, “TURN LEFT WOMAN! ARE YOU DEAF!?”

“I’m going to freaking turn left McLane! We’re not even at the end of the road yet! Stop shouting at me!” I manage to veer the car back into my lane, the panic inside me, going down slightly as I look in the rear-view mirror to find that there’s basically no one else on the road… anymore. 

“I can’t believe I’m letting you practise your driving today.” He grumbles to himself.

I ignore him as I bat at a whole lot of switches and levers in hopes of getting my left indicator on. I watch wide-eyed as my windscreen wipers start up and I feel like crying. “This was such a bad idea.”

“Turn it off! Watch the road! TURN LEFT!” Jake orders all at once, his face expressing my exact words. “Don’t look at me! Look back at the road!” we veer a little bit as I’m scared by an early morning jogger on the sidewalk.

“Stop telling me to do so many things at once!” I wail, finally turning my windscreen wipers off and somehow getting my indicator on just in time for the corner.  “You’re making me nervous!”

I accidently press my foot down too hard and I zoom around the corner, making Jake let out a shout of surprise. “I’M MAKING YOU NERVOUS!? I’m the one sitting next to a madwoman, actually praying for my life!” he basically shrieks.

My jerky driving starts to come back into play as I continue to drive down the deserted street, now fuming with anger, “Well no one asked you to get in the car with madwoman!’

I bump a lever and suddenly a spurt of water shoots out at the windscreen, “WHAT THE FU–”

“HAILEY!” Jake roars, grabbing the steering wheel and turning it sharply, making us narrowly miss a paper boy, “PULL OVER!”

I quickly try and turn the windscreen wipers back on to get rid of the water, blurring the window, “Stop shouting at me!” I scream back, “You’re making things worse!”

“I’m not shouting at you! Just pull over!!!”

I slam the breaks down as a car pulls out of a driveway a couple of driveways ahead of us, “OH MY GOD!” I scream as we’re both chucked forward by the momentum, our seatbelts catching us at the last minute.

“That car’s meters away!” Jake cries out as I begin to move forward again, “God knows how you even passed the test to get on the road.”

“It’s not my fault I’m driving like this.” I cry, trying to keep my distance from the car in front of us and freaking out because there’s another car now behind us.

“It’s not?” Jake snaps sarcastically, “Oh do enlighten me your highness.”

“You’re making me nervous!” I say again, “You keep yelling at me and screaming at–”

“WATCH THE ROAD HAILEY!” Jake yelps, again reaching out for the steering wheel and making us swerve back into our proper lane.

“I don’t want to do this anymore.” I wail, “I want to go hooomeeee.”