Chapter One: The News/Ashton's Back (Kelsey)

Kelsey's POV

I grab my coat and get on the bus to head over to the doctor's office. This was the day that I would get the final say. If I was okay or if I wasn't. I walk up to the door of the office and someone cuts me off to open the door for me. He looks back.  

"ASHTON!!" I scream, hugging him.  

"KELSEY!!" he screams back.  

"What are you doing here?" I ask.  

"I came to see you! I got a break off the tour in between the European and US leg so I wanted to come home and see you!" He explains.  

"Really?!? Oh my gosh, Ashton!! You're amazing!" I yell, hugging him again.  

"Kels, you're gonna be late for your appointment." He laughs.  

"I hate you." I say, laughing because I can't keep a straight face and say that.  

He opens the door again and lets me inside. I check in like usual and we sit down and wait for a nurse to call me in. We sit there for ten minutes, catching up on everything that we've missed since he left. Then the nurse comes out and calls my name.  

"Kelsey Irwin." 

I take a deep breath. This is the ultimate appointment. This will decide my fate. Ash notices that I'm nervous and grabs my hand.  

"Can you come with me?" I ask.  

He doesn't answer, just stands up and walks with me, still holding my hand. We walk into the room and the doctor is already sitting there. Well that's new. We usually have to wait.  

"Hello Kelsey."  

"Hey Dr. Martin." I respond.  

"Take a seat." She says, coldly. She usually isn't very friendly, but she usually has better hospitality. Why is she acting so strange? 

I take a seat on the chair and Ashton stays standing, leaning against the wall.  

"So... as you know, we have the final results of the tests." Dr. Martin continues. I nod.  

"Well... We have determined that...." She trails off.  

Oh no.  

This can't be good.  

Please Lord don't tell me.  

She finishes her sentence, "that you only have six months left." 

I can't breathe.  

I can't see.  

This can't be happening.  

I feel two arms wrap around me.  

I don't know or care whose they are, but I hug really hard back.  

The arms release and I see Ashton. He slowly reaches his hand towards my face and wipes the tears from my face. I grab each of his hands in each of mine. He lightly squeezes them, before releasing and hugging me.  

"I'll leave you two here." Dr. Martin says, before leaving.  

Ashton takes her chair and moves me to his lap, rocking me back and forth like a small child. I felt just like one, I felt so hopeless and just rested my head on Ashton's chest. I start hiccuping loudly from crying for so long, and Ashton starts cooing, "it'll be okay. You'll be okay." Over and over again.

The only problem,

I know I won't be.