Chapter 15

Turning around James ran his hands through his face and leaned forward resting his elbows on his thighs. Never had he loathed himself this much. Was this woman even at fault? Why was he punishing her for something she hadn't done? He knew the truth now then why?!

He looked back at Sarah. She had curled up into the tiniest possible ball. His eyes landed on the bedsheet which was now red and then her foot.

Quietly he got up and moved to her side of the bed.  She caught him standing beside her from peripheral vision. Her heart sped violently threatening to burst through her ribs. He held her arm and gently scooped her up tucking his other arm beneath her knees. She shuddered at the contact but he didn't let go. Embarrassed of her almost naked state she pulled the clothes tighter towards herself. More tears brimmed her eyes and she found it hard to control her sobs.

Moving inside the en suite he placed her on the edge of the tub with care, with her legs inside. Removing his shoes and socks he swung one leg inside and seated himself beside her. Bending a little he opened the tap. He got rid of the blood soaked bandage covering her wound. Supporting her calf he extended her foot to let the lukewarm water run over it not bothered by the fact that it wet his pants.

She hissed in pain and as a reflex tried to pull her leg back from him. In return he held it steady. Her fingers turned red as they dug into the edge of the tub, while she braced herself. Once clear of the blood he saw, the wound had worsened than before. He closed his eyes and almost hoped his shoe didn't cause the damage when he was forcing himself on her.

His eyes travelled in her direction. She didn't dare look at him. She kept on wiping her tears and snot with the back of her hand but they just wouldn't stop. She whimpered and sniffed trying her best to keep quiet. Bruised lips and flushed cheeks, to him she appeared the most innocent thing he had ever seen. How could he hurt something this dainty?

Taking a clean towel he dabbed her foot dry with her trying to wiggle it free. Wrapping it around the foot he got up and after a few seconds appeared with one of his t shirts.

"Wear this." He said handing it to her which she grabbed immediately with one hand for the other held the torn clothes to her body. No matter how much he tried to sound gentle his voice came out as a harsh command.

"Wash your face and come out." To her relief he left her alone and closed the door behind him. The moment he stepped out she broke down. He sobs filled the huge bathroom. Not having the strength to hold her body she slid down on the floor and hugged her knees.

Standing in the walk in closet just outside his heart sank to his stomach as he heard her muffled cries. There was anger and helplessness at the same time. But he didn't go inside. She could take her time. He had already done enough damage. He moved outside and changed the sheet.

A few minutes afterwards she realised that he was probably waiting outside. Not wanting to rile him up more she quickly stood up with the support of the tub and stripped off the now shredded nightie.

His t-shirt.

She eyed it with repulsion. Nevertheless slipping into it she moved to the basin and washed her face. She looked at the pale reflection and abused face staring back at her. Before more tears could find way she bent down to removed the towel from her foot.

James changed into a pair of sweats and a clean t-shirt. When he couldn't wait more he finally burst inside making her gasp in horror. He looked at her squatted form and walked to her. Not giving her time to react he picked her up in his arms. The towel on her foot unwound and fell on the ground. The awkward position forced her to cling to his shirt.

He bought her to the bed and placed her there. Handling her foot with infinite care he turned the sole a little towards himself making her curl her fingers tightly around the bedsheet. The cut had deepened and maybe she she needed stitches.