{Promises} KEELEY

KEELEY

Jason was well.. 

Jason was my on again off again boyfriend. He traveled a lot, so we didn't have much of a relationship.

I started cleaning up his wound, that was pretty deep. It ran along his ribs, showing all the muscle inside. I cleaned the edges before stringing a thread and needle. I set it down when my pager start buzzing, wanting all personnel to room 740. I told Jason I'd be right back and left his room.

I started jogging to the room and stopped dead in my tracks.

It was Liam's room.

I busted in, trying to hold in tears and not let my emotions show while shaking the sense of deja vu.

I turned to Martha.  

"Give it to me."  

"Liam Payne-"  

"M, I already know that. What happened?" I questioned, cutting her off.  

"He tried to kill himself." She says, breathily. My voice was trapped and I nodded before walking over to him. 

"What can I do to help?"  

"Well, Dr. Reynolds. We don't usually do this..but we're out of his blood type and you seem to be the only one with the same type here at the moment." The chief of surgery told me. I nodded and rolled up my sleeves, starting my own IV, and the blood began pumping into a bag.

Finally we got all the blood we needed, and I was feeling dizzy.  

"Reynolds. We'll get you a bed in here, and you can relax." I nodded my head, to tired to protest. The shoved another bed into the room and as soon as my head hit the pillow I was out.

I was woken up to the sound of somebody crying. This wasn't unusual in the hospital, so I don't know why I payed attention to this one. I sat up looking around, disoriented. I turned to the boy in the bed next to mine. 

"Liam?" 

"Dr. Reynolds." He replied coldly. He turned his face away from him, trying to discreetly wipe the tears of his face. 

"How are you feeling?" I asked. I remembered the blood transfusion. 

"Fine, thank you." He said in the same polite voice. It was silent. 

"Why are you sleeping in my room?" He whispered. 

"I gave you the blood." I told him, kind of proudly.  

"Why didn't you let me die?" he shouted, "I just want to die!" My jaw dropped in shock. I never thought of Liam as a person to commit suicide. Tears filled my own eyes and I felt my heart breaking.  

"Liam.." my voice cracked. 

"Don't leave me." He sounded broken. Like he had finally had enough of the world.

I took in his wrists and arms, seeing the crescent shapes from his nails and the claw marks. The deep ones were stitched up now, and I inhaled deeply, dragging my eyes away to Liam's brown eyes that were filled with hurt and sadness. 

"I won't." I swore.

I guess the people that smile the most really do face the deepest demons.

I let the tears free and thought about my plan.

I was choosing Liam.