Autumn Moon Festival

Vera's dress above
______________________

"Ripley!" I screamed happily, bursting through the house and tackling my older brother in a hug.

He chuckled, grabbing me up and spinning me around.

"Hey baby sis," he said, placing me on the ground.

"What're you doing here? How's college?" I asked, bouncing with excitement.

Rose finally came in the house from the garage, carrying my two bags with an amused look. I bounded over to her, taking them with an apologetic look. She waved it off and greeted my family.

"I came for the festival of course," my brother responded with a grin.

"And it's good. How's high school?"

"It's ok. I have good grades," I shrugged.

"That's good. You messing with any boys?" He asked, giving me a stern look.

I laughed at his "protective" brother side.

"Of course not. I don't want any lives at stake," I teased.

"That's right cuz I will personally castrate any boy who tries to touch my baby sister," Ripley said confidently.

"Ripley!" Mom said sternly.

"Honey, we both know we would," dad said, putting an arm around her shoulder.

" 'We'"? She asked, her eyes bugging in their sockets.

The guys laughed while I rolled my eyes. Rose said bye, promising to be back tomorrow for the festival. I walked her out then went back to see my brother.

"So... Don't be upset ok?" He said, wincing slightly at how bad that sounded.

"Ok..." I trailed off, nervous.

"Rider will be at the party," he warned.

I tensed. The guy who hates me more than anyone else? Who made my life hell whenever he could?

That was years ago. A part of me said.
Forget about it.

"That's fine," I said surely. He gave me a relieved smile.

"Awesome. If you're not sure I can take him out to do something else."

"No it's fine, really!"

"Cool, so I have big news."

"Ooh what?" I asked excitedly.

"I found my mate!"

My stomach dropped.

"O-Oh," I said with a shaky smile.

My own brother now. What did I think? That he never would? Why did I feel so sad then? Then it clicked. Mates just reminds me that I'm not like them.

"Hey are you ok?" Ripley asked, concerned.

No.

"Yeah. I'm just tired, Rose wore me out. Did you tell mom and dad yet?" I asked.

"Yep, that's what we were talking about before you came in. Mom is so excited to meet her! She lives in the Crescent pack, an hour from my college," he explained, grinning.

I gave him a smile.

"That's great bro. I'm going to go take a nap. I'll see you later," I said, keeping in my sadness.

"Ok, night sis."

I walked up the stairs to my room, feeling the dark feeling of depression closing in. Now my brother too. I really am not like any of them. I closed the door to my room and threw myself on to my bed.

We're not like them. They're all werewolves, we are human. We're alone. All the kids at school don't want us here. I mean Rose is our only friend, and even she doesn't really understand us. Now Ripley... No. I should be happy for him. But I don't belong here. I belong with my own kind. I finally decided.

My eyes closed and a few unshed tears slipped. Tomorrow, before the party, I will tell my family and Rose that after my 18th birthday, I'll be living in the human world.
....

People buzzed around frantically the next day, hurrying to prepare for the festival. I felt a little sad, and scared. How would I tell my parents I decided to leave? My brother? Rose? I felt a heavy weight upon my shoulders.

I was doing the right thing, right? Being with my own kind? I must be. The majority of the werewolves didn't want me here anyway.

"Ver! Let's get ready!" Rose called from upstairs.

"Coming!" I called back.

I stomped up the stairs, hurrying to my room to see Rose surrounded by torture devices. Curling wands, hair spray, perfumes and more make up than the ulta store. I gasped, backing towards the door.

"I don't think so. Sit your sorry a** down before I give you something to be scared about," she threatened.

I whimpered but slowly walked over to the chair. She instantly started primping. I stayed silent as she worked on hair hair and makeup, knowing that if I made her angry, she could make me blind with one fatal sweep of the mascara wand.

After, she told me not to look in the mirror as I did her. That's right, just cuz I didn't want Rose getting w hold of me with her cosmetics, doesn't mean I'm not good at applying my own makeup.

I straightened her hair to give her a more edgy look, then gave her dark, smoky eyeshadow a long with a fierce wing and deep red lip stick. While I had my sweet, nude colored dress, she had a sexy black one. We checked the time. By now, it was 6:22, and the party started at 6:30. We slipped on our shoes and eyed ourselves in my full body mirror.

Rose's naturally dark red hair looked great cascading down her shoulders, a long with her bright hazel eyes and tan skin. She smiled at me.

"Da** girl, we look good. I don't know if Jeremy will let me passed the entrance to the living room," Rose tsked.

I laughed, fully agreeing with her. Even I could say I looked hot. My brown hair was curled gently, and my bright blue eyes popped with the light grey smokey eye Rose gave me. My plump lips smiled underneath their nude pink lip stick.

"Well, let's get this party started," Rose said, a devilish smile lighting up her face.

I grinned a long with her. Breaking my decision to my parents could wait at least one more night. Right?