Honestly

I couldn't help it. I started laughing.

"You're crazy. You really are insane," I said, but I'm not sure if I was talking to him or me.

It's ok, Vera. He'll take care of us. You have much to learn. Terran said soothingly.

I ran my fingers through my hair. It was getting long, fast.

"Vera, listen to Terran. I'm not here to bring you down a wrong path," he said.

I eyed him, shocked.

"How do you know about Terran?" I asked, alarmed.

"She talks to my guide, Gannon." He replied.

"There's a lot you need to know still before you'll be strong enough. Come on, we gotta go before your wolves start picking up my smell," He said, stepping forward to grasp my arm.

I moved it out of his reach.

"What? Go where?"

"We have to leave here. I can't train you out in the open like this, it's dangerous. You could get hurt. Dark beings already lurk in the shadows," he said, voice stiffening at the end.

I looked at him surprised, so he could sense it to.

"Who are you?" I asked.

He smiled at me.

"I'm Trenton. I'm your Guard. I'm here to protect and teach you," he told me.

"I-I can't go! This is my home now. Rider wouldn't ever let me leave. I'm a Luna, I have responsibilities to this pack," I told him, stepping away from him.

"Vera," he said sharply.

I turned to look at him, surprised.

"This is much bigger than one wolf pack. This involves humans, Gifted, werewolves, everything. If you don't come with me, millions of people are going to die," he told me.

I gaped at him.

"The war?" I asked quietly.

He nodded.

"Where will we go?"

"Somewhere no one will find us. We have to hide you."

Panic struck me heavily. I felt paralyzed. Millions of thought ran through my mind.

It's ok, Vera. We have to do this. If we don't, everything you love will be gone. You have to do what's best for others. Don't worry, you will see Rider again. Terran claimed.

I let out a crushed sigh.  Tears flooded my eyes so I looked up, blinking. Don't cry don't cry don't cry. I have to be strong. I have to do this.

"How much time can you give me?" I asked.

Trenton's face bunched in concentration.

"I can give you until tomorrow. We'll have to leave around 2:00 am."

I nodded.

"Ok. Until then." I agreed.

He smiled and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Thank you, Vera."  I nodded.

Then we heard something that made us both tense. Footsteps coming up the front porch.

"Go! There's a door in the kitchen that leads to the back porch," I hissed.

Trenton took off, moving so fast it was like he was there one minute and gone the next. The front door opened and closed. I wiped underneath my eyes, checking for years and smoothed out my hair quickly.

Rider came around the corner, giving me a tense look. I gave him a small smile and he instantly relaxed, approaching me confidently. I wrapped my arms around his waist, hugging him firmly to me.

He automatically returned my embrace, his much taller frame curving around mine, making a protective hold. I sighed in relief.

"I'm sorry. For earlier," he huffed, awkwardly.

I looked at him confused, then remembered why I had stormed off in the first place. I laughed gently at the craziness that has occurred in the last twenty minutes at most.

"It's fine, but you should trust my instincts as well as your's. A Luna can tell right from wrong," I told him with a gentle smile.

He nodded slowly, agreeing.

"I will wait to make any sort of treaty with their pack. We'll investigate them more first, ok?" He asked.

I nodded, grinning. I was trying not to show my sadness. I didn't know when I would see him again. I focused back on Rider who was looking at me with a puzzled face. There's one thing I know I have to do before I disappear.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and brought his lips to mine. He seemed surprised for less than a second but then smirked and immediately responded. His hands went to my waist and drew me closer and a part of me melted. Everything about him felt right, perfect. Like two pieces of a puzzle. He fit against me like he was my exact match.

Well, I guess he was. We broke a part after a minute and my eyes fluttered open to look at him. A cocky/happy smirk graves his face. I blushed and pushed him away.

"You liked it," he said confidently.

I huffed.

"It was ok," I lied.

"You moaned," he pointed out, smirking.

I could feel my face turn even more red as I glared at him.

"Shush."

He laughed before approaching me, wrapping his arms around my waist and smiling largely. I could feel my own face light up with him. He looked so... Happy. Like I'd never seen him before. I plopped my head against his chest.

"You're a turd," I whispered.

He laughed and played with my hair. For the rest of the day, we stayed together. As he worked in his office, I helped a long side him. Then I made cookies, which he adored. And as the sun started to sink, my mood seemed to go with it, but I refused to show that to Rider.

I sat in his lap on the couch now, and we were just talking. About life after he left the pack when we were kids, how we got here. He twirled strands of my hair around his fingers thoughtfully.

"I'm going to go take a shower," he said.
"Wanna join?" He asked playfully.

I scoffed but smiled, pushing him towards the bathroom.

"Go wash yourself stinky," I joked.

He raised his eyebrow at me but chuckled and walked off. As soon as the water turned on I grabbed a paper and a pencil.
....

I had packed a bag and had hid it under the front porch. Now, Rider and I were cuddling in the bed. I can't sleep. I know this is the last night I'll be with him for awhile, but he is relaxed. His breathing has regulated and I know he's asleep.

The clock on this bed side table flashed bright red numbers that made my blood turn cold and my heart ache. It was time for me to go. I gently detached myself from his hold and gave him one last sad look. I kissed his cheek gently so as to not wake him and put the notes where he'd find them.

I slid on my tennis shoes and walked down the stairs, and out the front door. And there was Trenton, waiting in the shadows.

"You ready?" He asked gently.

I nodded and grabbed my bag from under the porch.

"As ready as I'll ever be," I answered, emotionally drained.

Then, I followed Trenton into the shadows in hopes to disappear from the rest of the world.