[13] the calm

"Anything?" asked Bellamy approaching to me, as we walked outside the walls. I denied. Two days passed since we blew up the bridge. We were more vigilantly, never letting the walls without watch. And from time in time, one of us had to go outside the wall to search for signs from grounders. This morning was my turn. But there was nothing.

"Maybe the bomb at the bridge scared then off for good." I offered and Bellamy sighed.

"You believe that?" he asked still looking at the woods.

"No. They're coming. You saw what they did at the bridge." and added and I followed his gaze at the woods.

"Jasper thinks he can cook up some more gunpowder, if he gets some sulfur and Raven says she can turn that into landmines. So be careful where you step."

I chuckled. "Oh, look, he knows how to be funny."

"What I really need is 1,000 more of her tin can bombs so I can roll into their village and blow those grounders to hell," I stopped and I raised an eyebrow at him. "What? That's what they want to do to us, Princess."

"Can't believe we survived 100 years just so we could slaughter each other. It's not this the same reason why both of us were born in space? There has to be another way."

"Any word from the Ark?" Bellamy changed the subject and I shook my head. "Finally ran out of air."

"Maybe my dad was lucky and he was on Exodus ship. At least, this way, his death was quick. No one is coming down to save us." I whispered and I looked up at the sky. I never met my father but I couldn't avoid to feel a small pain thinking they maybe he was dead.

"We're fine," he said looking at me and I sighed. "And we don't need anyone."

I returned to the camp after a while and I went to  the smoke house built by Bellamy meant to keep the food fresh for more time. I smiled at Bellamy's sister and Murphy and I started to help her to hang the meat.

"Let's get this party smoking." said a guy putting more woods over the fire.

"You don't want the fire too big. So maybe just try to knock it down it some wet leaves." said Octavia.

"You get that from your boyfriend, grounder pounder?"

"She's right. A hot fire is not gonna preserve the meat as well." answered Murphy as he gave me another piece of meat to hang over the fire.

"You can't take the heat, get out of the smokehouse." said the other guy. "Should be kissing our asses for being allowed back in this camp." he added and then he went outside.

"Bellamy couldn't get you a better job? Would think anything would be better than working in the meat furnace." asked us Murphy looking right at me.

"Oh, probably but that just means someone else would have to do it." I answered hanging some pieces of deer meat. "The fire is too big!" was everything I managed to add before I saw how the flames were capturing the entire house and I couldn't breathe correctly. I tried to relax counting from one to ten but my lungs were burning and I was trembling too much.

Suddenly, I couldn't smell smoke anymore and I realised that Murphy carried me outside. I took a big mouth of fresh air and I started to cry.

"Are you okay?" asked Bellamy approaching to us and we nodded.

"This is all your fault. We told you it was too much wood." screamed Murphy pushing to the ground the other guy that was with us.

"Get the hell away from me!" he screamed.

"Hey! Hey! Hey, stop! Save it for the grounders." Bellamy said stepping between the guys.

"Well, now what the hell are we gonna do? That was all the food!" I cried out and Bellamy looked right to me. "Any idea what happened?" I asked him after they managed to stop the fire.