Accident #2

You felt like an idiot. A completely rude, clumsy, anxious idiot.

The minute you felt something foreign on your shoulder, your fight response immediately kicked in. You turned around and slapped the stranger before you thought otherwise.
Your hand didn't hit flesh – no, that'd be too easy for you, it was more like giving a marble table a high five. A slap sound did occur, but it sounded almost hollow and quiet.

You stared at the stranger in front of you and couldn't muster up the courage to say anything to them.

It was then, and only then, realization dawned in.

Sans stared at you wide-eyed, surprised. He didn't seem like your slap hurt him, but he definitely looked confused. You were sure he was pissed at you this time.
Two awful mistakes in a little more than a day. You were doing real great, _.

"I," you stuttered out, your voice quiet and hoarse, "I'm so sorry..."
Sans continued staring at you for a moment before chuckling, "you really have a way with introductions, kiddo."
You couldn't even look him in the eyes anymore so you began glaring at the ground, "...I don't know what I was thinking... I don't even have an excuse; I'm so sorry, Sans..."

You felt your hand distantly throb, most likely hurt from hitting bones so hard. Your shame overwhelmed your emotions at that point, you could barely even feel the cold air anymore.

"kiddo," Sans said, "i probably surprised ya. i'm sure it might be kinda scary at this time of night."
"..." You didn't say anything, instead you took a deep, shaky breath. You tried to calm down but felt tears prickling your eyes instead. You dug your fingernails into your palms to focus on anything else.
"toriel told me i shoulda called you first," Sans chuckled, "i guess that goat lady's got some good tips once in a while."
"...Sans," you said quietly, still refusing to meet his eyes.

The skeleton took a deep breath and patted your shoulder hesitantly, "we figured that something bad could've happened to you, _. i might've decided to see if i could find ya and see if you were okay. i also was gonna head back home."
You chuckled softly, "I-I guess... I guess that might've been a bad idea, seeing me."
"nah," Sans replied immediately, "it was worth it to see you were safe. besides, being a skeleton doesn't give you much feeling."

You finally turned to meet his eyes. He looked at you with a sincere expression and smiled widely.

"You don't have the nerves?" you joked.
Sans's smile turned wider, "I don't have... Anything, really."
You tried to smile back, "You are just skin and bones."

Sans chuckled at you, "what can i say?"

"...I'm sorry I hit you," you apologized, "And spilled ketchup all over you."
"it's good. it gives a good story to tell people," Sans said.

You looked at him and smiled for real this time, "I feel like such an idiot..."

Sans shook his head at you, frowning a bit.

"Y-you didn't have to check on me or anything," you dug your fingernails further, "I've been living here for a long time. I'll be okay."
"well." Sans took a long breath, "at least let me walk you home? you said your house wasn't too far from here, right?"
You stared at him for a moment, "Well... About that."

He raised an (how do skeletons raise an eyebrow? An eyebone?) eyebone and looked at you curiously again.
You felt the throbbing in your hand get more intense, and you released your hands into a more relaxed position, "...I didn't want any of you to worry, I guess. I have to take the subways back home, but they're safe. I'll be okay."

"do you have a car?" Sans asked.
You shook your head.
"kiddo," Sans smiled shyly at you, "we all wanted to make sure you got home okay, that's all."
"Like I said, I'm sure I'll be okay," you laughed, "Thank you for checking up on me."
There was that blue hue again, "no, no. i promise i won't hold this against you forever if you let me tag along with ya. besides, i know a few shortcuts to get back home."
You frowned, "I live kind of far off from here."