Midnight Stroll

By the time you knew it, another day had passed. Then a day turned into a week. Then a week turned into a month.

Nothing too eventful had happened, Undyne and you kept working at your bookstore. Weekends were still the same too, you spent it at home. Sometimes the group of monsters invited you over – which, admittedly, was so much better than doing menial chores around the house.

Papyrus had planned for your 'cooking' lesson that weekend, although you were quite sure that you would just watch him cook spaghetti. (Not that you minded, from what you've seen, cooking was Papyrus's element). Sans and you texted a lot too, but you didn't really meet outside of hanging out with the others.

You'd admit that you were a bit sad you didn't see Sans more often.

You were still curious about what Undyne and him had talked about that one day, but you decided that it might be better not to pry. After all, they did leave, it was most likely something personal.

Besides, the last thing you wanted to do was to make either of them uncomfortable. You weren't sure how any of the monsters truly thought of you as a friend; you didn't want to upset them by saying something stupid.

You looked out your window and took a deep breath. The night sky was faded by the bright city lights and the pollution in the air. It wasn't awful, but you much preferred the days you could see the stars. You wondered if Sans like the stars too... Well, of course he did, he wouldn't have bought an astronomy book elsewise.

It was late at night, but you didn't feel tired enough to try to sleep. You knew you had work tomorrow and you'd be exhausted, but yet... You didn't know why but you just didn't want to go to bed yet.

You were excited for tomorrow, perhaps? You had ordered a new haul of books which Undyne and Alphys helped you pick out. You even picked out a pasta cookbook for Papyrus, although you were just going to give it to him when you went over that weekend.

Papyrus and you talked a lot, which was really nice. After finding out where he worked, you visited that coffeeshop a lot more often. Papyrus was down-to-earth and just easy to talk to. If he didn't enjoy your company, you were almost positive that you would've known.

He kept saying he wanted to cook you 'friendship spaghetti' and that all of his friends and you would become great friends together if he did so. He even said he'd try to get his 'lazybones brother' to help you two cook.

You hoped his spaghetti would work. You really liked everyone.

Which was honestly so rare for you to say because before you met Undyne you had practically given up on humanity.

Well. You guessed you kind of had, Dad was really the only person you talked to on a somewhat regular basis.

Even though you weren't tired, that didn't keep you from being bored.

You thought about doing something outside of your apartment, but it was too late for anything to really be open. And, even though you didn't want to admit it, the city wasn't safe at night.

But then again, when do you really care about safety?

You threw the blankets off of you, they landed on the floor is a messy heap.

You were wearing clothes that could pass as being wearable in public, so you didn't change out of anything. You put on an old, worn-out pair of converse and a jacket, and out you went.

Being in the city this late always made you feel a bit nervous. It was better than any other time of day though, you weren't expected to make idle chit chat or smile at random people.