Nine: Trust Circles

Chapter Nine: Trust Circles

I scowled as I ate my morning bagel. I was secretly plotting my brother’s death as he happily drank his orange juice. He ‘forgot’ to pick me up yesterday and I was stuck at the mall until nine.

“Glaring at me won’t change the past,” Kurt sang happily as he gave me a toothy grin.

I gave a grunt in response. He’s lucky that I have no energy in the morning; otherwise he’d be choking on his granola bar while I smiled evilly at the sight.

“What’s the big deal anyways? I gave you more time to converse with people.”

My mood rapidly sank deeper into the fiery hell of fury it was already in. Uranus had left shortly after Holly had gone, saying that I’d be fine by myself. Because they’re evil and like to pick on people who were alone, the vendors of the mini shops spread within the mall always stopped me with their seemingly innocent smiles and asked me to try stuff.

So now I have a new screen protector for my phone, a half a year worth of acne cleanser, a frying pan, a wig, and some hand lotion that smelled like a rear-end of a donkey—all of which I didn’t need.

“I’m out a hundred and twenty dollars,” I said angrily.

“Dad’s going to be so mad at you,” Kurt commented, oh-so thoughtfully.

“Yeah, thanks, captain obvious,” I muttered bitterly.

“Rena, why is there a hundred dollars missing from your savings account?” my dad asked as he walked into the kitchen.

“Uhm,” I started, trying to find proper excuse. My morning grogginess prevented me from finding a decent one. “Love you, Dad. Off to school now,” I said quickly and rushed into the garage.

“That was smooth, Rena,” Kurt said when he finally got his butt into the driver’s seat.

“Blah,” I said. It was still too early for me.

“Your face.” Apparently, it was too early for Kurt as well.

:::x:::O:::x:::

“And one time when I was twelve, me and my cousin went to her neighbor’s house and shoved a pie in their face. It was hilarious!” Holly started to laugh hysterically, recalling the thought.

“Uh-huh,” I responded, not really caring. After about three hours with Holly, it felt as if my brain was going to melt.

It wasn’t that she wasn’t amusing to talk to or that she told lame stories, but she told way too many stories and I was in a bad mood. She got us both in trouble at least twenty times since school started. I didn’t even know she was in my class until she sat next to me.

“That’s it,” Ms. Houston abruptly stopped her lesson and faced in Holly and mine’s direction. “I can’t concentrate with you two yipper-yapping over there.”

“Sorry,” Holly apologized guiltily, slumping down in her seat trying to avoid the stares that were coming towards us.

“Sorry, isn’t going to cut it, Miss Walkers. Detention for both of you.”

“What?!” Holly exclaimed loudly. “But this is going to go on my permanent record!”

“Holly, you’re a great student but—”

“I was talking, too!” a  voice in the back of the room declared loudly.

“Trent, I didn’t hear you talking.”

I wondered when he was in my class as I turned around in my seat.

“Maybe because you’re getting old,” Uranus responded to her rudely.