Chapter 10.

"Come on Rosalyn, hurry up. He's waiting outside."

Jessie is literally pushing me out the door and I'm trying to hold on to anything that can halt my departure.

I don't have enough time. All I got to do was shower and throw on a pair of clothes. But I feel like I'm forgetting something. This is why I hate rushing.

"Jes wait please. I'm forgetting something. I just don't know what."

As if I just said the magic words, she stops pushing me and starts to think. I take the opportunity to try and sneak upstairs but she catches on and stops me halfway.

"Your meds! That's it. Wait here and I'll go get it.", she shouts before taking off.

I wonder where James is taking me today. I would love for it to be like a simple dinner or a relaxing walk. Something like that.

But to be honest, I never really cared about where my date would take me. Not that I had any before. To me, as long as I'm with the person then everything would be perfect.

Maybe I'm a bit too sentimental but that's just the way I am.

"Okay, here you go."

I turn and take the pill from Jessie and quickly swallow it. A shiver runs down my spine but I ignore it and walk out the door, over to James.

I never really liked to make eye contact with people. Especially when I'm out in public and I'm walking. I always look down because I'm too afraid of what I'll see if they do notice me.

So that's exactly what I'm doing now. I'm looking down at my shoes and running my hands over my jeans.

I cool breeze throws my hair around in my face but I don't dare move it, I'm not ready to see James or his expression.

You know what I don't understand? How I didn't feel any different when the medicine was wearing off. Usually, I'd feel anger and sadness, the real me...but I was actually fine.

I can change right? Maybe I am changing. Or maybe it's James.

"Hey."

I look up to see him smiling. His hair looks crazy like mine but overall he looks rather cute. I want to touch his curls and tell him how delicate they are but that's just weird, isn't it.

"Hi. So...where are we going today?", I ask.

"I was planning a little trip but I think that can wait. Let's just walk today."

It's like he read my mind.

"Sure.", I reply; not showing too much happiness but making my relief known.

He starts walking along side the road and I quickly follow behind.

"What am I going to find out today?"

I'm only doing this for information so why not just get to the point.

"Okay well, it was about 15 years ago."

Great, now I feel old.

"You and your parents were over at my house for Thanksgiving. We were playing around in the living room while they were in the kitchen making dinner. One thing led to another and all I know is, a fire started and everything was ruined."

I stole a glimpse at James while he said that and he looks so hurt. I wonder what happened.

"Basically, you got burned on your side. It could've been worse but my mom saved you and she ended up not making it out."

I stopped walking instantly. How could she do that? Why would anyone give their life for mine? I should be the dead one.

"I'm so sorry James. She shouldn't have done that. It should have been me."

I hang my head in shame. How can he still care about me and I'm the reason his mother is dead?

Surprisingly he hugs me. I didn't even notice at first but I slowly wrap my arms around him too.

"It's not your fault. She did the right thing. Either way, I would still be hurting."

I just stand there in his arms. I don't want to move. For the first time, I feel safe. Or at least some time of belonging.

So we stay there embracing each other. From one broken soul to another.