Chapter 13. Part 1.

My heart is beating out of my chest as sweat runs down the side of my face. My breathing isn't normal and I want nothing more than to burst through these doors, to confront the lie I just heard. Was it even a lie? I don't think I'll be able to move on from this if I don't act now.

My hands tremble as I put them up against the door. I'm scared. For the first time ever, I, Rosalyn am actually scared. But this is not who I am. I am strong and bold and not afraid of anyone or anything.

So with one final thought I push open the doors and step in.

"I'm sorry to interrupt but what did you just say?"

It is so unlike me to do this. But like I said, people change.

I meet the eyes of James first. They are full of surprise and worry. Then the ones of Mr. Philip that seemed unfazed by my intrusion.

"Rosalyn, what are you doing?" I quiver under James' harsh tone.

"Now James is that any way to talk to your fiancée?", Mr. Philip says ending his statement with a low chuckle.

"Who were you talking about Mr. Philip? I know it is none of my business but who can James be in love with other than me? And you're not talking about me right?"

I scan his face, mentally pleading for an answer but I don't get one. Instead, James speaks up.

"No, of course not. We were just..."

"No son. I think it is time she knows everything. I'm getting too old for these shenanigans."

"What is he talking about James? You love me don't you?"

He walks over to me and envelops my hands in his. "Yes, I do. I love you so much."

"It happened when you were 13 Rosalyn." Mr. Philip says tearing my attention away from James.

"Come on. Let's leave."
James tries to lead me out but I pull my hands out of his grasp. I want to hear this.

"No. James, I'm curious to what your father has to say."
Now I am attentive to everything that comes out of Mr. Philip's mouth. Nothing has my focus. The world has no importance to me at this moment and I couldn't care less.

"It was a cold winter morning and your parents were going to visit your grandmother. The snow had just started to settle and they were saying their goodbyes to you. Jessie was left in charge of you and the house."

Little images popped up in my head and I started to remember. I can almost see my mother's beautiful smile.

"But here's the good part. On the way there,
their car crashed and they died. The police ruled it out as an accident but it was all planned actually. I sent a hit man after them. You must be wondering why. Well because your father was a rich man Rosalyn and I wanted his money and his business."

I am still. No energy to move. None to argue. None to even ask why. I watch Mr. Philip who had gotten up from his desk and was looking out the window. It's not true, it can't be.

"Your lying.", I scream at him. I turn to James but he looks away from me and his father continues.

"As I was saying, I wanted what your father had. Now you must be thinking that you should have inherited everything right? Wrong. I'm a smart man Rosalyn. I always think ahead. Two years before that, I started a fire in the hope of getting you killed but my wife sacrificed herself for you and I pledged that day to make you pay. So I injected you with a drug."

"No, no. This isn't real. Stop. Stop it." But my protests go unheard.

"The same night your parents died too. I came to visit you and I slipped it in your food when you weren't looking. As a result, you became wild, crazy. I made sure that when you turned 18 you didn't inherit your father's firm because of your 'condition.' So as usual, it came to me, his trusted business partner. But as you can see, I am getting old so it is only right that I retire. I wanted my son to take over but he can't because your stubborn father wrote in his will that after me, the place be shut down. Absurd right? So I made a plan. To get my son to woo you and for the two of you to get married. He would then take over the business and I would've had you killed. But I guess fate caught up with me."