Chapter 3: What Could Go Wrong?

Renae's POV

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Tony came back, we quickly headed off. Tony explained the situation about Skylar staying with Mando at the hotel until Happy gets there. I was fine with Mando staying a little longer. I'm just not sure how fine he is with this. I was still very upset with Skylar. I could not believe she would go against direct orders like that. I ran my hand through my hair in frustration before being thrown out of my thoughts by Natasha.

"So, Skylar's staying in Sokovia?" Natasha asked with a teasing smirk. "Wow, Tony. Whooped by a eighteen year old girl."

"I was not whooped! She's going to be punished as soon as she get's home. She just has some things she needs to finish up and I'm letting her." Tony insisted with a huff as he crossed his arms indignantly.

"Roughly translated as 'she gave me these big puppy eyes and I couldn't say no', I'd say she's going to be a fantastic agent someday." Natasha said as she nodded in approval.

"She's not going to be an agent. Ever." Tony grumbled with finality.

"Whatever you say, Chief. To be honest, I'm not sure if anyone could tell her what to do. That might be a problem if she does become an agent. Right, Renae?" Natasha asked.

"Right." I said half heartedly as I looked out the windows of the jet as we flew. "Are there any water bottles?"

"In the back." Tony said gesturing vaguely behind him as he fiddled with some technology.

I walked towards the back and found a cooler full of them. I uncapped one and took a long sip of the cool, refreshing water. I then sat down and let out a tired sigh.

"Hey." A voice said.

I looked up to see Steve smiling at me and I couldn't help but grin back.

"Mind if I sit with you?" He asked gesturing to the spot next to me.

I shook my head and took another gulp of water. He sat next to me and said.

"Alright. What's wrong?"

I sighed before blurting out.

"I know I shouldn't be surprised, Skylar IS Tony's kid. Defiance runs in their veins but today caught me off guard. What if something had happened to her? I wouldn't have known until it was too late and-"

Steve gently wrapped an arm around me and I leaned into his firm chest. My worried thoughts ebbed away as his large hand rubbed my back. I sighed deeply as my body relaxed against his. Then I realized just how close we were...

'Good grief. It's like Michael Angelo himself chiseled him from stone.' I marveled in my head as I observed his toned body.

Steve's lips twitched in amusement.

" I can still here your thoughts you know."

My cheeks reddened. I'd forgotten about the link I shared with him.

"Sorry about that. You're just...wow! You know? So strong and you're face is just super cute...know what? I'm gonna shut up now." I said my cheeks brightening even more.

Steve laughed and my head shot up. He rarely ever laughed. He chuckled but laughing...wow. He was even cuter when he laughed.

He grinned as he looked at me.

"You've changed so much the last couple of years. You've loosened up quite a bit."

I blinked at him.