Chapter 7: Finding Ultron

We all went up to the lab where damaged robot bodies lay strewn and torn apart. Rage filled me and I clenched my fists. Why would Tony do this? I felt a warm hand on my shoulder and looked up to see Steve with a grim expression on his face as he observed our surroundings. Tony was gazing at a broken bot lying on the table in front of him.

"All our work is gone." Banner muttered in shock. "Ultron cleared out, used the internet as an escape hatch."

"Ultron." Steve muttered in disgust.

I couldn't help the pang of regret in my chest as I berated myself for trusting Tony to disable the program.

"He's been in everything." Romanov announced. "Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about eachother."

I felt panic stir inside of me. Everything? Did Ultron know where I'd hidden my family? What about Skylar? Did he know about her?

My thoughts were interrupted when Steve silently placed a hand on my shoulder. I looked back at him and gave him a grateful nod and placed my hand on top of his. No words were spoken but the gesture was all I needed to calm down.

"He's in your files, he's in the internet. What if he decides to access something a little more exciting?" Rhodey said as he paced irritably.

My heart leapt into my throat. Oh God, no.

"Nuclear codes." Hill voiced in quiet horror.

"Look, we need to make some calls." Rhodey advised. "Assuming we still can."

"Nukes? He said he wanted us dead." Natasha stated.

"He didn't say 'dead'." Steve spoke out. "He said 'extinct.' Well, at least for most of us."

A few Avengers threw me a concerned look before Hawkeye stepped in.

"He said he killed someone."

"There was no one else in the building." Hill countered.

"Yes, there was." Tony said softly, speaking for the first time.

He walked to the center of our group and held up a remote which brought up a screen. We all gazed in shock at the sight before us. It was the broken AI of Jarvis.

"What?" Banner whispered. "This doesn't make sense."

"Jarvis was the first line of defense." Steve said quietly folding his arms. "He would've shut Ultron down, makes sense he'd take him out."

"Ultron could have assimilated Jarvis. This isn't strategy. This is..." Banner paused as realization washed over his face. "Rage."

Every hair on my arms stood up as I felt that emotion practically sweep through the room. I spun wide eyed to see Thor marching towards Tony with murder in his eyes. Before, I could say anything Thor picked up Tony by the neck and lifted him in the air.

"It's going around." Barton stated fairly calm.

Thor continued to walk with Tony in his grasp. Part of me was greatly amused to see Stark finally get what was coming to him, the other part of me knew that I should probably intervene before he dies.

"Come on! Use your words, buddy!" Tony goded.

Nevermind, let Stark die.

"I have more than enough words to describe you, Stark." Thor growled lowly as he tightened his grip.

"Thor! The Legionaire?" Steve intervened.

Thor let Tony drop from his hand gracelessly.

"Trail went cold about a hundred miles out but it's headed north." Thor answered not taking his eyes off Tony. "And it has the scepter."