chapter iii [rewrite]

"I want you to describe the girl to me."

Beau took a deep breath and complied. "She looks – she looked about twenty years old. She had tan skin. I think she could have been of Latin descent maybe... dark hair, brown eyes, slanted a little." A face you couldn't forgot. A stare he couldn't forget. He shuddered. Once she'd been smiling at him, pleasantly, and now she was dead, "I don't know anything else about her."

"Harris, try and see if there are any missing persons or anyone involved with similar cases with a matching description?"

The other officer nodded and left the room, leaving him with the Detective. He folded his arms. "Why didn't you report this yesterday night?"

"I was told not to talk to the police," He admitted, his every syllable expressing his genuine nerves, "He said he wouldn't hurt me unless I kept quiet."

"And you told my partner that you only just found out who this guy was, am I right? What made you change your mind? Aren't you afraid he's going to hurt you?" He asked, a look of intrigue upon his face rather than concern. I didn't know what his angle was, as until now I'd assumed he believed me.

"I was kind of hoping that he'd be arrested," Beau returned, trying not to let the irrelevant questions throw him off his task, "Look, I saw this girl being killed. She was a young girl. I can't just let this guy get away with killing an innocent."

The detective folded his arms and studied Beau for a moment. "I understand," He finally came out with, nodding in agreement, "What did you say the guy's name was again?"

"Cyrus," He stated, "Cyrus Vaughn."

The detective's expression changed a little, though it returned to its neutral state less than a second later. But Beau had caught sight of that falter in his stillness, and he knew that a thought just came to his head. Before he could really question it though, Officer Harris came back in with a file. He handed it to the detective, and he placed it on the table. Way too quick and way too convenient, he thought.

"This morning, we found a body in the woods. We didn't have much trouble identifying who she was, though and she seems to fit your description rather well." Again, way too convenient, but he didn't mention it.

The detective slid a photo out, held to the paperwork by a small metal paper clip, and then he handed it over to Beau across the table. "Was this the girl you saw yesterday being killed outside of the coffee shop?"

His eyes widened. That was her! Same face, though a shorter haircut. And a bright smile was displayed across his plump lips. She looked a lot more innocent than she had the previous day, but there was no denying that it was her. "Yes, that's her."

"Well, it seems your story doesn't add up," The detective took back the photo and slid it back in its place, but he did not close the file, "She was found in the woods, having suffered a severe animal attack. The case has already been solved."

What? Beau's face scrunched to the words he was hearing. "But I saw her being killed yesterday?" By... an animal... No. He'd seen Cyrus Vaughn kill her. "I know what I saw. The guy took the body with him. That must have been where he put it," He explained, knowing that his wording was poor.

"You said you saw her being cut too, but there were no knife wounds on her body." Her body was displayed in separate photographs on the file, and the mere sight was enough to make him sick, but he had to be sure.

"Please, you have to believe me. He threatened me yesterday, and I'm afraid for my safety. This guy, he's a psycho – he's dangerous!" This was a serious accusation. Weren't they obligated to look into it? They were supposed to do something about it, but they seemed like they were just giving up.