chapter iv [rewrite]

[ the previous story is going to be deleted when the new one has caught up with the number of chapters, rather than place in the story. ]

  ►►►  

He'd never been weakened like that before. His kind were possibly not as strong as the Hounds, but he'd felt so small against his enemy. He'd never felt like that before. He'd always been a strong opponent, a confident fighter and he'd always been able to hold his own. But no, he'd failed. Something had been lingering in the back of his head, the weird sense of another – urgh. The thought made him feel uncomfortable.

No one had ever saved him before in his life. It wasn't as if no one was willing, it's just he never needed saving. The Wulver pack took pride in their own battles and their own kills, especially Cyrus. He was the next in line to leadership of the pack, but he couldn't even defend himself, to the point that he needed to be rescued. By a human. Well, he was a little bit more than just a human, but that was another matter. He was poisoned, and yet still managed to kill the Hound without any struggle.

"Cyrus."

Paige's voice snapped him back to attention. She'd clicked her fingers in front of his face in attempt at grabbing his attention. He scoffed and walked past her. "Stay awake," She added, turning to watch him.

"Don't patronise me," He said back over his shoulder, storming over to the couch and settling himself on it. He poured himself a drink from the glass bottle on the coffee table and into his glass, readied with ice.

"You realise Agatha is going to have your head on a spike, right?" She asked, elegantly walking over to the seat opposite him, leaning back and crossing her long smooth legs, an arm on either of the rests. She sat as if that seat was her throne. She looked like a queen, regal, stunning, beautiful. It was a shame her attitude was anything but graceful.

Cyrus rolled his eyes and took a large swig of his drink, before lifting his head and saying, "Why should I get the blame? It's not my job to protect him. It's Dahlia's. She should be getting the blame. First she allows him to see another wolf getting killed –."

"By you," She noted, wearing a smug look upon her face, smiling as she brought her own glass to her lips.

"Not the point. Secondly, she lets him out of her sight and go run off to the police – and before you say anything, that one is on her, and thirdly, when she's supposed to be checking up on him, she goes and lets him wonder off to a hound hole and get groomed by a perverted rogue," He finished, draining the glass of its contents before putting it down upon the table with a hard smack.

Paige winced, "Be careful. You'll ruin that." Her next smile indicated that she didn't care about the table. Instead she was more amused by her brother's temper, "Anyway, the point is, someone's getting in trouble, and considering you were the one that let him consume a nice little dosage of 'Nana's homemade rat poison', you're the one who's gonna' get in the most shit."

True. Agatha would find a way to blame this on him. Fuck. He'd tried to protect him twice. First was because Dahlia had noticed that he was being targeted by that rogue girl. She'd slipped a little something into her coffee drink to weaken her before she could turn and attack, giving Cyrus the advantage. The second time he hadn't seen coming. He'd heard about what happened at the Police station. His father had taken care of the case, but it wasn't just that. He sensed danger. His instincts told him something wasn't okay.

These feelings were rare, but in the few days he'd known Beau, they'd started occurring. They were stronger when around him, but it was still there when he was away. He didn't like it. He needed it to stop. For now, he'd just ignore it. He had planned on visiting Agatha and asking her about it, but now he didn't think that would be the best idea. He presumed Dahlia was with her now. Maybe she was on her way.