Neji/Tenten

×_×
Tenten

Hair done. Face looks great. Clothes fit just right.

Yep, I'm ready for this!

Today is the Battle of the Bands, where Japan's best music groups compete for the title of "Best Band in Japan".

This is our second year, and we were determined to win 1st place this time. Last year, we got 2nd, and Tsunade was not happy with us. But we just debuted last year, so pulling off 2nd place is really good.

Honestly, Tsunade has high expectations for us...

I tighten my ponytails and smooth on more lipstick. While I do this, I subconsciously start humming Melanie Martinez's Mrs. Potato Head, which is my favorite song at the moment.

Oh, Mrs. Potato Head, tell me.
Is it true that pain is beauty?
Does a new face come with a warranty?
Will a pretty face make it better?
Oh, Mr. Potato Head, tell me.
How did you afford her surgery?
Do you swear you'll stay forever,
Even if her face don't stay together...

As I sing, I notice that I got a giant pimple on my cheek. Silently gasping, I hurriedly cover it with some foundation.

Ah, that's better.

I know that a girl group should deliver the message, "Be Yourself!" but in reality, all of our songs are about getting a guy to like you. Like our song, Pretty. It's literally about how a guy will only like you if you're pretty.

And even though I absolutely hate that song, it was #1 on the Top 100 for two months. It basically made us into superstars.

I touch my face. "No one will love you if you're unattractive..."

Which is exactly what I am.

"Why are you a rapper when you've got the voice of a main vocalist?"

I jump and turn to see Neji standing in the doorway, a friendly smile on his face.

"Oh, sorry! I didn't mean to disturb you, Neji-kun..." I say, trying to hide the blush on my cheeks. "I didn't know you guys were nearby."

He steps into the room. "Disturb? Why on earth would your beautiful voice disturb me? You're very talented, Ama-san." He says with a wink.

I turn away to hide my reddening cheeks. Wait, is this...a genuine compliment?! I think. No, that can't be it. He's turned into quite the ladies man. I shouldn't be taken lightly.

And with that thought, I take a deep breath and face him. "I was just put in the band like that. Plus, Hana, Hime and Shiki's voices are way better than mine."

He chuckles, causing my heart to skip a beat.

"You don't need to hide it, Tenten." He steps closer. "Your insecurities, I mean. Don't you remember middle school? You were the prettiest girl on our class!"

I blush. "W-well, yeah, but that was middle school. Things are different now. I'm flat-chested, clumsy and, well...not pretty..."

For what seems like hours, neither of us say a word.

Neji clears his throat. "How about some fresh air before competition, hm?"

<¤>
Neji

Ever since we were in middle school, ever since before we auditioned together for different talent agencies, ever since the day she smiled at me...