Letter Fourteen: Will Patier

December 3

Dear Liz,

I wouldn't know about the hard work or achievements. I don't go to school for the educational part, remember? 

I'm here because I've got pretty bad grades. And I'm seriously sugarcoating my grades because I don't want you to have a heart attack or something. The principal threaten to ship me to military school if I don't bring my grades up to a C and join the pen pal project. And here I am. I'm not complaining about the writing to you part. Just the whole thing entirely.

My parents and I don't do much in the holidays, we aren't that... close. Usually I go to parties at Thanksgiving's day, the type of parties with no adult supervision. We had some pumpkin pie in the party, for a pie eating contest. It was pretty fun at the party, so I sent you a picture of the winner. Me. But there was this one guy, Eddie I think, who joined the contest too. But when the contest started he was taking his time eating the pie. When he finally realize he joined a pie eating contest he was like, "Pie eating contest? Nah man, free pie." He was disqualified but got to keep the pie.

I can't believe there are still teachers like that Mr. Benson. He should be fired or at least pranked. I prefer both, prank him and then he'll get fired. And that's just plain stupid. You're no Einstein, yet. Your folks shouldn't expect so much from you. I bet you work your hardest and study until you're dawn. And you barely have time for yourself, you deserve to at least watch a movie or hang out with your friends. 

If you don't want to be a doctor, then so be it. You shouldn't let your parents decide what you should do. If you don't want to be a doctor, then you don't want to be a doctor. It's your life, you should be more independent. You're smart. You can become anything you want with that brain of yours, Liz. Now answer me this, what do you want to be?

Sincerely,

Will