The Teachers Special Part 2

May 18

Darius was very excited when the mail came today. Like every day during the pen pal project, he made himself some coffee (two creams, one sugar) in the teacher's lounge of East Wentworth High. After having a polite greeting with the other teachers and staff in the lounge, he quickly headed to the mail room.

There were boxes of files, notices, and other works for the teachers. He was looking around for the cardboard box that held the letters. But to his dissapointment, he couldn't find one in the room. Had the mail been delayed by some storm? What a shame.

He was about to turn around to head to his classroom, when a student teacher came into the room. The student teacher, a girl who goes by the name Samantha Maguire, came pushing a cart whistling a simple tune. The cart was filled with the mail of today, a few flyers about an event the students have come up. But right beside that stack of paper was a cardboard box. Darius grabbed the carboard box, making the poor girl jump back startled.

"Excuse me," he said, not bothering to apologize.

But he didn't care, as long as he had the box. Darius wanted to race through the hallway to his classroom. But sadly he needed to be a role model for the students, and the rules specifically said no running in the halls. Darius used a quick pace to his classroom, never missing a step. 

The students parted like the Red Sea before him. Most of them didn't make eye contact with him, in fear he would give him a failure just glancing his way. Darius kept his head up, hiding a smirk on his face. He finally arrived to his classroom door that had a plaque Room 131 Mr. Benson next to it. Like all of the teachers, he took pride in the golden plaque. He dug into his pocket until he found the key. Then he unlocked the door to his classroom.

With a flick of a switch, the room lit up. There were rows of desks in neat rows. The wooden floors were clean, not a single spot of dust or crumpled papers as such. Setting the box onto his desk, he raised the shutters to let the light into his room. There were no posters that held facts of English since students will use this as an advantage to cheat ot tests. And no reports or projects hung on the walls, Darius didn't want kindergarten drawings to disturb his clean blue walls.

Darius walked over to the box and straightened his blue tie. He wore a black blazer that bore the school's crest, and under it is a crisp, iron button down. He took a deep breath, trying to hide the excitement in him. He opened the box and searched through the letters of the students in America. Finally he found the letter he was looking for. Vanessa always use these bright purple envelopes so he would find her letter among the others. 

He took a seat on his chair behind his desk. First period wouldn't start until a couple of minutes, so he'll have enough time to write then reply. He tore open the purple letter, smelling the faint fragrance of Vanessa's perfume. He knew it was hers since he sent it to her for Christmas. The familiar smell gave him tingles. He closed his eyes, trying to remember her. Her smile, her laugh, her eyes. And the only thing Darius has left is her handwriting, her words. But at least it is better nothing. 

He didn't know why, but Vanessa had seem very distant lately. Which is ironic since they are oceans away, and that is quite a distance. What he meant to say is that she hasn't been her usual self. Her words didn't have much feeling in them, almost like they were robotic. She doesn't talk about her work, regardless of the countless of times he asked about it. But he didn't think of that too much, it must be her time of her month or some sort.

He took a deep breath and unfolded the letter. The letter usual began with the words, Dear Darius. But for some reason the words were, Dear Benson. Darius blinked, was this some kind of a joke? Why is Vanessa being so formal with him? Using his last name in the greeting instead of his first. He smiled, Vanessa always liked to make him laugh. He continued to read the letter. And with each words, each sentence, the smile on his face vanished.