The Address Special Part 2

June 20

"And let me address our salutatorian of East Wentworth High who will be starting the ceremony." Principal James Marriot announced.

The whole room became dead silent. This is it. This is the moment everyone was waiting for. Here in East Wentworth High, the valedictorian and salutatorian are like the prom king and queen, president and vice president. This is what matters in the school, who will be awarded of those two titles.

The salutatorian is the second highest in a class and gives a salutatory in a graduation ceremony. While a valedictorian is the highest in a class and gives a valedictory in the ceremony. Here it's different how the valedictorian and salutatorian are chosen. They post a list of kids who are qualified for the titles to make their speeches. Then at the ceremony, the principal will announce the salutatorian who will start the ceremony, then the valedictorian who will end it. It's a bit of a East Wentworth High tradition to give the kids the jitters and all that rubbish.

But it was no surprise who will be valedictorian and salutatorian. The pair has been working on those titles their whole lives. They were rivals since childhood, competitors of education, enemies as peers. Everyone wasn't looking at the principal, but at the two students. Lizzabeth and Aldridge sat side by side, just inches apart from each other. Beads of sweat rolled down their forehead, they kept on shuffling in their seats under the gazes of their fellow peers and their parents.

Under the dark blue graduation robes, what no one noticed was that their sleeves were connected. Just before the ceremony started when everyone was taking their seats, Lizzabeth suddenly grabbed Aldridge's hand. He looked at her, and noticed that she was pale. Lizzabeth has been worried for weeks before the graduation ceremony. And now today is the day. Aldridge gave her hand a squeeze, having her look up to meet his gaze. He gave her a comforting smile, and she returned a forced one. The rest of the ceremony, they held hands to comfort each other unlike the years they've known each other where they taunt, and made fun of each other.

"It will be all right, Lizzabeth," Aldridge assured her.

"And what if it isn't?" Lizzabeth asked, her voice rising to a panic.

Aldridge shuffled his hand that held Lizzabeth's, and had their fingers entwined. "It will be. I promise."

Lizzabeth chuckled. "Yes, that's very reassuring."

"Thank you." 

"That was sarcasm," she pointed out.

"I know, but I'll take it as being sincere."

She shook her head, and squeezed Aldridge's hand.

"Aldridge?"

"Yes, Lizzabeth?"

"I just want you to know, that I hope nothing will change after whoever becomes valedictorian."

"What do you mean?"

"If either of us become valedictorian, I don't want the other to hold some kind of grudge and we start all over on this rival thing. You understand?"

"Yeah, I don't want this silly title to get between us rivalry/ friendship."

She nodded. "Good, I just want to get that clear."

"And let me address our salutatorian of East Wentworth High who will be starting the ceremony." Principal James Marriot announced.

Lizzabeth's grip tightened at the announcement. Aldridge lifted her hand and snuck a quick peck on her hand, having no one notice. Lizzabeth reddened at the sudden gesture, making her tense.