SCMAnex Who am I? Ch. 3

Kevin's’ point of view

“We're here...” Eddie sentence trails off as he sees Steven curled up and clutching his ears. “What-”

“Stop,” He whispered, barely audible. His eyes are tightly shut like he’s trying to block out the world. 

“Headache,” I whisper to Eddie, who nods but still looks doubtful. Even me whispering makes him flinch. I quickly get out and head to his side unbuckling him, he flinches at every noise. Is this what he meant by heightened senses?! I pick him up bridal style and carry him inside, he immediately buries his face in my shirt. Eddie looks at me, not knowing what do do.

“I'll call you tomorrow,” I mouth to him, he nods and leaves, softly closing the door. I set Steven down on the couch, turning off everything that makes noise, computer, Tv, ceiling fan. He relaxes as the noise dwindles down to a minimal, and opens his eyes. They dart around the room in childlike wonder and amusement, but, it’s almost criminal.

“Do you want me to turn the lights off?” I whisper. He hurriedly shakes his head as no, oh right, the dark. He stares at me, almost like a cat watching its prey. That’s what his eyes reminded me of, a cat. I just stand there, unsure of what to do. I feel like if I make any sudden movements he might pounce. 

“S-Steven,” I whisper, in what I thought would be too quiet for anyone to hear.

“...Hm?” He asks, remembering that’s his name now.

“Why are you staring at me?” I ask, biting my lip. 

“...I-I’m scared,” He says, tears threatening his eyes, but he doesn't blink. 

“Of what?” I ask, what goes on in that mind of his?

“That if look away, you won't be there when I look back,” He confesses, a tear escaping his eye, but still he doesn't blink. I rush over to him, hating seeing him in this state. I embrace his and he calms down a bit, but still won’t stop staring. I feel my heartbeat pounding inside me, I’m sure he can hear it. 

“Steven close your eyes,” I whisper, he shakes his head. “Please? I promise I won't go anywhere,” I assure, he bites his lip. Reluctantly, he nods and slowly closes his eyes. His breath hitches for a moment, but he calms down. I gently rub his back, assuring him I'm still here. What am I to him? Without thinking, I gently press my lips to his. I pull back immediately, waiting for his reaction. He doesn't move, just sits there with his eyes closed. I'm about to say something, when I hear is quiet snores. I scoff and chuckle slightly. He... he fell asleep. I let out a frustrated sigh, shaking my head slightly. That figures, when I muster the courage... you know what, never mind. I sigh and carefully pick him up, making sure not to wake him. I quietly carry him and set him on my bed. I try to pull away, but his hand is tights around the hem of my shirt. Crap, is he awake?! I freeze, waiting for him to do something to clarify whether he’s awake or not, he just continues laying there, his breathing a steady rhythm. I sigh in relief and try to pry his hand from my shirt, but he has a death grip. I look at him, his body curled up, I guess there would be enough room... Wait! What would he think when he woke up?! Well... no. He’s too innocent to jump to those kinds of conclusions. It would be like when you sleep with your little brother because he had a nightmare, right? I sigh and hesitantly crawl in bed next to him. God, if Eddie saw this... Just don’t think about it, it’s just sleeping. I slowly drift to sleep, trying not to think of Steven. 

Stevens’ point of view (Next morning)

I wake, high pitched squeals penetrating my ears. But it’s much better then last night. 

“Wait Eddie! Don't jump to conclusions!” Kevin deep voice pleads. I reluctantly sit up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. E... Eddie? Yeah, Eddie was standing in the doorway, giggling and squealing. Is this... bubbly?