*10*

PART TWO

Author's Note

*** Hi, loves! So, this is the second part of this story, and if you read my previous note, I mentioned that the points of view will shift. Sadly, there will be no more insights to Shane's and Jace's thoughts, though they will still appear. ***

*Nolan's POV*
"I'm glad you're okay. We could've lost you," my brother told me as he drove me back home from the hospital. I looked at him from where I sat in the passenger's seat, holding onto my seatbelt. "Mom and I still have a hard time believing the whole thing was accidental."

He stole a quick glance at me before focusing on the road, driving steadily for my sake. I just swallowed, not responding. I could talk a little bit now, but I decided to
use the whole stomach pumping treatment to my advantage and put off this conversation until I was prepared for it.

So I remained silent.

Justin sighed heavily. "We love you. And we'd be devastated if something were to happen to you. There's no way in hell we're not gonna talk about this because
Mom wants some answers and so do I. If you aren't ready, we'll give you plenty of time. Just know that... the decisions you make don't affect just you. You know that. You're pretty darn mature for your age, so I don't have to tell you."

I continued to stare out the windshield, watching other cars cautiously.

"I'm sorry if you think I'm controlling you or bossing you around," Justin apologized after a few moments of silence. "I just want the absolute best because you deserve exactly that. If I'm being bossy, just tell me. I'll lay off a bit, I promise." He placed a caring hand over mine and sighed once again. "Can I tell you something?"
I nodded, knowing he saw it. He released my hand.

"I think I know why you're afraid of being in a car, or driving, or just being on the road in general."

I raised an eyebrow. Because of the nature of Dawn's death, I wanted to reply.

"I understand your girlfriend was in an accident three years ago, but I feel like there was another underlying cause."

I frowned, my curiosity building. My stare at him intensified, wanting him to just spit it out.

"But it's probably best if I tell you when I'm not driving because it's, um, it's serious."

"Way to make me feel calm," I mumbled, crossing my arms. He chuckled.

"I'm sorry, what was that? Your voice?" there was a large triumphant grin on his face. I smiled. "Nolan, I don't think you realize how many people really love you."

I bit my lip. "Then you should know that um..." my scratchy voice trailed off as I saw all the cars parked outside of our home. "What's going on?"

"I want you to see for yourself," came Justin's reply. He came to a stop and I wasted no time in getting out of that suffocating car. Clutching my stomach, I walked up the few steps leading to the front door and anxiously waited for Justin to come open it.

He sent me a comforting smile and unlocked the door. Opening the door, I was greeted with a wave of friends beaming towards me. "Welcome home!" they cheered. I stood frozen where I was, Justin clapping my back.

"They care about you, in case you forgot."

I blushed, scanning my friends to find Jace, Shane, the football team, Elaine and our friends, and my mother at the center of it all. There was a banner hung up that read, "Welcome back" and it made me smile.

At the far back, near our family pictures display, was a man I didn't recognize.

Creepy, but I just shrugged it off.
"Aww, my baby!" Mom rushed over to me and embraced me.