*23*

(October 22)

I didn't think that a day without Asher would be this uneventful. He was coming back tomorrow, but I wanted him here. Now. I had to tell him what happened yesterday but I wasn't sure about the whole event with Maya. I honestly didn't know what to think. Asher was still a mystery to me; and that saddened me. I was slightly jealous that Kalani had been his friend for twelve to thirteen years. She must have known so many of his secrets, and probably still does. I wished I knew more about him. I wished he knew more about me. I wished he could tell me everything. I'd never betray him; ever.

I was lying on my bed that afternoon, and I'd been in this same position since I'd gotten home from school an hour ago. I knew I wouldn't fall asleep, so there was no point in trying. The desire to call Asher was great, but I thought I'd be bothering him.

I heard a knock on my door and I turned my head to see Mom there.

"Hey, sweetheart."

"Hi, Mom." I pulled myself up into a sitting position.

"Are you okay? You're actually home from school early. Odd."

"You noticed?"

Mom smirked. "You may not tell me where you're going, but Mama knows, child. I have that radar thing." She motioned to the top of her head, making me laugh.

"Whatever you say."

"So Justin took you to see Anderson. I almost killed him for letting you go near that man." She walked inside and sat by me.

"We didn't wanna worry you."

"I heard you forgave him." Mom shook her head. "Nolan... you've always been a good boy. I mean, despite all the times you got into trouble and fights in middle
school and all the phone calls I got from parents saying you bullied their kid or gave someone a black eye..." she gave me a pointed look. "You're good."

"Point taken." I blushed, remembering those days and how much I changed.

"Why'd you decide to pardon him?" she asked me. "I sure can say that Anderson caused everyone in this family a great deal of pain. You probably don't remember any of it... is that why forgiving him was so easy?"

I shook my head. "He never hurt or abused me. I forgave him because it was the right thing to do."

"Okay. Then I want you to keep on doing the right thing. It might look stupid to so many people, or wrong... but most of the time, when the world says you're
wrong, you couldn't be any more right."

I nodded, taking in her words. She patted my knee.

"That's all I wanted to say. Oh, and for your sake, and mine, tell me or Justin where you're going from now on, alright?"

"Alright."

"Good." She stood up. "I love you."

I was about to reply but my phone rang. "Love you, too, Mom," I rushed out as she walked out of my room.

I grabbed my phone and checked the caller.

Asher.

Eagerly, I swiped to the green answer button and pressed the phone to my ear.

"Hey."

"Hi, panda-fish," he called me.

I blushed more than I ever had, a wide smile crossing my features. Thankfully, he wasn't here to see my face.

"Oh, hi, spider-pig," I responded.

I could tell he was smiling and trying not to laugh. "I'm never getting tired of these pet names."