*19*

*Nolan's POV*

He liked me.

Asher liked... me.

Me, Nolan Reeds.

I could barely breathe when he dropped me off and gave me a soft kiss to my cheek. I wasn't exactly sure how I felt towards Asher. I didn't see him as
anything more than a newfound friend.

But now I was aware he liked me. So, it changed everything.

I turned around as he drove off and realized Shane's motorcycle was parked in my driveway. It had been forever since he used it, but I recognized it anyway.

Completely forgetting about Asher, my heart jumped and I rushed to open my door and get inside the house. I almost dropped my picnic basket, but I
didn't care; Shane was here.

When I got inside, there he was, sitting on the couch with a snack in his hands. Mom was on the other couch, reading a book with her glasses on.

"There he is," Shane commented when he saw me. I smiled widely, locking the door and walking into the living room.

"Hey, sweetheart. How was it?" Mom asked, smiling.

"Oh, it went great." I focused on Shane and he stood up. "Hey, Shane," I greeted.

Mom approached me and took the basket. "I'll take care of this. Why don't you two go talk?"

I thanked her and she walked away.

"What're you... doing here?" I asked.

He smirked. "Come." Taking my hand, he led me to the sofa and we sat down before he let me go. "I wanted to check up on you."

My smile slowly faded. "You didn't have to, you know."

"I did. I was a bit worried after what you told me."

I sighed and slumped my shoulders. "Shane, really. You don't need to put my dumb problems on your shoulders."

"Nolan, you don't have problems."
"Everyone has problems."

"Yes, but..." he tilted his head. "I just don't understand it. Why do you think you're not worth caring for? You come to everyone's aid when they ask.
So, everyone should come to yours."

I looked away, my heart beating quickly. "How's Jace?"

Shane sighed, throwing away the previous topic after realizing I wouldn't talk about it. "Jace is... sick. You know how that is."

"How?" I looked at him again.

"He's practically a body lying in bed all day whining about how he's about to die."

I concealed my laughter. "Yeah, now I know what you mean. You have to take care of him?"

"If I leave his sight, he'd kill me. I'll be going to his house first thing in the morning. In fact, I kinda just got back here from his house."

"With your motorcycle - Shane, are you crazy?" I gasped, my hand flying to my mouth. It seemed dramatic, but to someone with a panic disorder like me, it was reasonable.

"N-no! I took my car, Nolan. Promise." He put a calming hand on my shoulder. "I went there with my car, came back, went home, showered, and came here with my motorcycle."

I nodded, finding my breath again and calming down.

"It's okay," he soothed, rubbing my back. I stared at his gray eyes and dropped my gaze to the floor.

I missed him more than anything. My heart rushed at the thought of what it would be like to have someone that would race an hour from home just to see you, like Shane and Jace did for each other. Or what it would feel like to have someone at your side all day, taking care of you when you were lying sick in bed. I imagined Shane lying next to a sick Jace, holding him tightly and not caring if he'd get sick as well. He probably didn't care; as long as he could have his love in his arms.