*24*

(Oct 23 Fri)

It was a little after six in the evening when I arrived at Asher's house. Of course, Mom wanted to know where I was going, so I had told her Tyler's. I hated lying, but Tyler lived three houses down, so it seemed reasonable... I guessed.

I smiled when I heard Zion's excited voice booming inside the house. A couple minutes later, the door opened and there he was.

I gasped silently at his awesome hair, which was straight and gelled back. He looked so different with just that hairstyle.

"Um, I'm looking for Asher McCulloch," I requested, not believing it was him.

Asher broke into a smile and grabbed me in a hug. "Missed you, too. Come in." Keeping a hand at the small of my back, he guided me into his house. I chuckled and turned to face him once we were in.

"You look great," I complimented, giving him a light peck.

"Thanks. Just wanted to look good for our date tonight."

My heart stopped. "Date?" I breathed out. "Like... a date - like... out?" I stuttered, my face flushed.

"I wanted to surprise you, I guess. You look just fine; we're not going anywhere fancy. Um... it doesn't really have to be a date because Zion's coming."

I managed a little laugh. "I guess there won't be a dull moment, then. Can I see him?"

"Of course. He's trying to do his homework in the living room, not that it's anything hard. He just has to match the animal to what sound it makes."

"Oh, ha." I smiled and walked into the familiar living room. Zion was sitting on the floor, tapping his pencil on his chin while staring at the paper in front of him.

"Hey, Z. need some help?" I sat down next to him and he gazed up at me.

"Lolan! Daddy, Lolan is here!"

"I see that, love," Asher responded, fixing the collar of his shirt.

"Here." I pointed to the cow on the sheet of paper. "That goes to 'moo'."

Zion drew a line to connect the cow to the 'moo'. "Okay. I know all the sounds but I can't spell them all," he explained to me.

"That's why you have a little bookcase in your room. People who love to read are smarter than those who don't, love, remember?"

"Jonah said reading doesn't matter," Zion responded to his dad.

"So, that's why you stopped? Zion... is he bullying you?" Asher came closer, a concerned look on his face. I snapped my head to the little child next to me and
he shook his head.

"No, no, daddy! We're friends."

Asher sighed in relief. "Alright. Tomorrow's Saturday. Once I get home from work, we're gonna read, okay?"

"Okay."

I smiled at Zion and his big, dazzling eyes.

"So, I get to see pictures, right?" I asked Asher, standing back up.

"Oh, yeah. Hopefully, you'll fall in love with them." He winked and I tilted my head.

"Why do I get the feeling you're sending me a hint?" I questioned, narrowing my eyes.

He playfully rolled his eyes. "Because I fell in love with your pictures, remember? And if you and I ever get married one day -if- I'm so telling our kids that."

I gasped. "You are not telling our kids you fell in love with me through a picture." I swatted his arm and he laughed. "Don't go giving them high hopes."