*17*

I was so thankful to even be alive today. I slept peacefully after being so worn out yesterday at Asher's house. To be honest, I felt like we were good friends. He let me stay longer after dinner and what tired me the most - but in the best way possible - was Zion. The little angel had come up with all kinds of games for the three of us to play that not even an adult would think of. Kids were clever, and whoever disagreed was a fool. It was just how their minds worked, I guessed.

What I was mostly excited about was being able to cook and bake for this early evening's picnic. I wasn't really looking forward to the drive to Pine Creek Lake, but I didn't want Asher to think I was a scaredy cat.

I already wrote out the list of food I was going to prepare.

I was in the kitchen that afternoon, trying to get a head start when my brother came back from work. Mom was already home, but she didn't know about my plans today. I
just didn't want to bother anybody about it, that was all.

"Welcome back," I called out to Justin as he pecked Mom's cheek.

"How was work?" she asked him.

"Eh, the usual. I have quite a bunch of contracts to go through." He shrugged. "I also met some interesting people with some..." he chuckled. "Interesting stories. What're you doing there, buddy?" he nodded at me as I sliced some fruits to make the fruit salad.

"Oh, um... I'm having a picnic with someone."

He raised his eyebrows. "Is it Shane?"

I shook my head with a smile. "Assumption, assumptions."

He held up his hands in defense. "My bad, just curious. I have no problem with him, I just don't think you guys... belong together is all."

"It isn't him," I reassured.

"Is it someone special?" Mom beamed with a look of anticipation.

Asher? Someone special?
"Not... quite, no. Just a friend, I think."

"You think?" Justin smiled and dropped his briefcase and jacket. "I wanna hear this. Looks like you're getting over your ex."

"Wrong. I'm most definitely not over Shane. I absolutely love Shane and I'm sorry you have to hear that."

"Nah, it's not the first time. Do you need any help?"

"Actually, I wanted to talk to you and Mom."

Mom perked up, glad to be a part of the conversation again. "What is it, honey?"

I stopped slicing to wash my hands and wipe them. "I... it's about my meds. I haven't been taking them."

"Why not?" Mom questioned.

"Well, you know how one of the side effects is... suicidal thoughts?"

Mom's hand flew to her mouth. "Oh... baby..." she dropped her hand.

"So, you've been..." Justin's eyes widened. "That's why you overdosed - you said it was an accident."

"It was! In a way, okay? I don't wanna harm myself. I'm fine but I can't take those meds."

"You should have told me so I could notify your doctor. Sweetheart, you could've died!"
Mom cried out.

"I could've died lots of times, Mom."

"What does that mean?"

I glanced down. "I was kidnapped."

Silence fell on us at those words. I continued. "He could've killed me with his bare hands. I could've died when he crashed his car with me inside."