*26*

*Asher's POV*

I screwed up. Again.

I didn't know why I always managed to do something to make the person I liked, or in this case, loved, to hate me. It was always something.

After Nolan walked away from me, I went to go get my baby to take him home.

Really, there was no point in staying at the party. I hated to take away Zion's good time, so I promised to take him and Jonah somewhere fun next Saturday to make up for it.

Once home, I took off Zion's costume and put him in a warm bath. He busied himself with the foams in his tub while I tried to call Nolan. I was actually hoping he'd pick up, but he didn't. That was when it hit me that I was truly screwed.

"Daddy, why are you crying?" I heard Zion's tiny, squealy voice say to me. I put my phone on the sink counter and wiped my eyes, feeling the tears there.

I sighed, shutting the lid of the toilet and sitting on it. "Because, baby, I'm sad."

"Why are you sad?"

"Well, um... I lost something dear to me is all."

"Uh-oh!"

I couldn't help the little chuckle that slipped past my lips.

"Did you find it?" Zion continued to ask.

I shook my head.

"What does it look like?"

I glanced at my hands then back at my child. I reached out and stroked his soft, wet hair. "It's beautiful. Very beautiful."

"Oh. I didn't see it."

I smiled through my tears. "Come on, let's get you cleaned up."

I washed him off and took him to his room to get him into his pajamas.

"Daddy, why was Lolan really mad?" Zion piped up once I got him tucked under the covers. My eyebrows knitted together. He had seen that?

"You knew he was mad?"

"Mhm. But I think he was crying, so was he sad just like you?"

I looked my son in the eyes and saw the curious gaze in them. He wouldn't understand.

"Lolan doesn't like me anymore?" he asked. I shook my head.

"No, baby! That's not it at all; he loves you. Okay?" I kissed his little head. "He loves you so much."

"But he has a new fwend. The doggie."

"No, love. You're more than a friend to him. You're like... a son. You can't be replaced."

He just nodded, his eyes shining at my response. I knew my son; and sadly, I could tell that he might suffer from need to feel accepted as he got older. That was why I never failed to remind him how much he was loved, by not only me but Kalani as well. He didn't have many friends and I was his only family. I wished there was something I could do to change that, but it wasn't like my family wanted to see me.
Quite frankly, I wasn't too ready to see them again either.

I smiled and swept his hair back. "I'll stay right here until you're asleep. I'll keep you safe."

"Okay. Goodnight, daddy!" His little arms hugged me and he pecked me on the lips as usual.

"Sleep tight, angel. I love you."

I tucked him back in and patted his back. It was the quickest way to put him to sleep, and in seconds, he had dozed off. I switched on his Mickey Mouse night light and turned off the real light. Since his room was right across mine, I usually left both our doors open so that if he ever woke up in the night, he'd come straight to me. At that point - and it was usually around four in the morning - he would come with his Donald Duck plush toy and crawl into my bed, holding the toy in one hand while cuddling my arm. So, yes, I woke up to my little angel every morning.