Ponyville

Pinkie tried to focus on making some cupcakes in her home. But she had some things on her mind.
"Oh man! She hasn't written to us yet!" Pinkie complained loudly.
"Don't worry so much darling," Rarity said beside her counter. "You know Rainbow, she must be awfully busy there. And I bet she's been keeping Fluttershy busy too."
"Yeah, but, not even one letter!"
"Darling, remember when Rainbow Dash left for the Wonderbolt Academy? You were going to write first, but then we,"
"We came for a visit!" Pinkie interrupted happily.
"Um, yes, but Pinkie, the camp is so far from here."
Pinkie Pie groaned.
"Well, you could still send a letter, asking how she is." Rarity smiled.
"Yeah, you're right. So lets get writing!"
Meanwhile, Apple Jack was hauling a wagon of apples down the street from Sweet Apple Acres. She was bringing them to Sugar Cube Corner where Pinkie insisted on making a bunch of apple pies for no apparent reason.
Apple Jack arrived at Sugar Cube Corner and knocked at the door. Pinkie opened it almost immediately. "Apple Jack! That's right! Pies! We can send some pies to them!"
"Wait, what the hays goin' on?" Apple Jack questioned.
"We're sending a letter to Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash."
"And pies! You know, I really just want to go see them." Pinkie said.
"Well," Rarity thought. "Perhaps we could find some way to get there."
"Well the balloon could get us partly there." Apple Jack.
"Yeah, we could take it to the Crystal Empire." Rarity smiled.
"Yes! Yes!" Pinkie jumped excitedly.
"We should inform Twilight about this." Apple Jack said.
"And Spike," Rarity said. "I'll go get them, I'm sure they'd love to come." and she galloped out the door.
"Alright Apple Jack, lets make some pies!" Pinkie said excitedly.
Rarity soon returned with Twilight Sparkle and Spike.
"Alright, can I know what's going on now?" Twilight asked.
"We're going to visit Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash!" Pinkie said extra excitedly.
"What?! We are?"
"Yes," Rarity smiled. "We thought we'd take the balloon to the Crystal Empire and go from there."
"And I suppose the best way would be by train." Apple Jack said.
"Wait, hold on, we'll have to dress up for the cold, and bring food for how many days we'll be on the trip. Do we even know how long it will take? Guys, we need to think this through!"
Twilight said getting a bit antsy.
"Calm down Twilight." Spike said. "I'm sure this trip will be a piece of cake."
"Yes! Cake! We should make cake too!" Pinkie said throwing various ingredients at Apple Jack causing her to fall to the floor.
"It shouldn't take too long to get there on the balloon. And maybe we could spend the night somewhere in the Crystal Empire." Rarity explained.
"And taking the train up the mountains shouldn't be too long the next morning." Apple Jack smiled.
"Guys," Twilight said. "This trip is a big deal. We've never taken the train through the mountains before."
"But Rainbow and Fluttershy did, and they...." Pinkie stopped and let out a big dramatic gasp. "What of something happened to them and that's why they haven't wrote to us yet!?" Pinkie said beginning to freak out.
"Pinkie, don't go sayin' that!" Apple Jack said. "I'm sure they're just fine up there."
"Yes darling, like I said, they're probably so busy that they haven't gotten around to writing to us." Rarity reassured.
"But you don't know that! Something bad could've happened! We need to leave pronto!"
"Alrighty then!" Rarity smiled. "I best get home and pack right away.
"Same here, you finish up baking Pinkie." Apple Jack smiled.
"Yes mame! Then I'll pack too!" Pinkie saluted.
"Wait, girls, we don't know what we're doing yet. We didn't think this through!" Twilight said.
"Don't be such a spaz Twilight. We have to pack too, lets go." Spike said hopping out the door.
"Spike, wait!" Twilight said following.
All four ponies met back at Sugar Cube Corner after they packed. Rarity having the most bags of course. Pinkie packed a big special box for the pies and cakes, and the extra snacks for themselves.
"Um, there's no way this will all fit in that little balloon." Apple Jack said.
"See, that's why we should've discussed this more." Twilight grumbled.
"Well then we'll just take the train all the way there." Rarity said.
"Rarity," Apple Jack started. "Why are you wearin' some spring outfit when we're going to the cold winter mountains?"
"Well, we're not at the cold yet." Rarity smiled a little awkwardly.
"Guys, are we sure we know what we're doing?" Twilight asked a little nervously.
"No offence Twi, But if Rainbow Dash was here, she'd probably have us on the train by now." Pinkie said putting a last box of the big wagon they shared.
"We'll be fine darling, now lets hurry before it's late." Rarity said as she trotted to the wagon.
"Come Apple darling," Rarity said. "Lets pull this thing to the train station."
Apple Jack and Rarity pulled the wagon along as Pinkie hopped and Twilight walked.
"We'll be fine," Spike said to Twilight. "I think these girls already know what they're doing."
Suddenly a chain dropped on the ground. Spike gasped. "Rarity! You're necklace! I got it!" He said picking it up and brushing off the dirt.
"Oh, my Spikey-Wikey, you're such a sweetheart." Rarity smiled.
Spike blushed and smiled. "Anything for you, Rarity, here, let me put it back on for you." and he clipped the diamonds around her neck.
"Oh, thank you sweetie." Rarity said as she rubbed her cheek to his.
"Rarity, you're kind of slowin' us down." Apple Jack said.
"Sorry Spikey, I must help Apple Jack." Rarity said, and quickly gave him a peck on the cheek. Spike blushed with a dreamy smile.
They arrived at the train station and boarded their bags.
"I'm so excited! It's been way too long since we've seen our feathered friends!" Pinkie Pie said all jumpy in her seat.
"Try to keep calm darling." Rarity smiled next to her.
"I just hope they've been having a good time." Twilight said.
"Well we all can assume Rainbow is. And I'm sure she's making it the best for Fluttershy." AJ said.
The train left the station and the four ponies were on there way to their winged friends, unaware of the surprises they'd get.