Study Break

“C’mon Marcel!” I pleaded, “Spring break is almost over and I want to do something fun…” I trailed off as I reflected on the boringly productive break I had so far.

“Char you know I hate it when you call me that,” Harry replied, miffed at my use of his first name, something he’d tried but failed at hiding by using his middle name. “Besides, you and I know how important these finals are.”

I sighed “I know, I know but don’t you think we’ve earned a break?” My question went unanswered as Harry turned back to his work.  Despite the sun shining outside, we stayed inside for the past week and a half, trying to cram everything we had learned the past year back into our heads.  I didn’t normally object to studying, which is why I was grateful to have Harry as a friend, but sometimes his serious attitude combined with my ambition and love of books left us stranded inside for days. 

My phone buzzed and I turned to read a text from Jess, my other best friend who I loved despite her constant avoidance of studying.  Though sometimes distracting, this trait came in handy occasionally.  Like now.

“Jess invited us to a bonfire at the beach tonight” I mentioned casually to Harry.

“What?” he replied, obviously not paying attention.

“Earth to Marceyyyy” I joked, tapping on his wide-rimmed glasses.

“Shut up Charlotte,” he snapped, pushing the frames back up his face. I snickered as they immediately slid back down his nose.  I used to have glasses as well, but due to quite a few comments from my friends and parents I had replaced them with contacts.  I brushed my bangs out of my eyes and tried to focus on my work.  I looked up as I noticed Harry watching me.  He quickly looked down again and I raised an eyebrow, questioning him without actually saying anything.

“Fine” he huffed.

“Fine what?” I asked momentarily forgetting his earlier glance at me.

“I’ll go—we’ll go” he corrected, making a face as if it was the worst idea ever.  I grabbed him, giving him a quick hug and I noticed a flush crept up his cheeks.

“You’re the best” I said.

“I know, remember? I know everything,” he replied cheekily. I rolled my eyes and grabbed my phone to reply to Jess.

“What’s the difference between a covalent bond and an ionic bond?” he muttered rubbing his temples.

“The electrons are shared not taken,” I replied instantly, “I thought you knew everything?”

Harry snorted, turning the page to the text book.  I made a promise to get him to loosen up tonight.

NOTE: 2 votes and/or comments for the next chapter please! I'll upload it right away :)

Thanks for reading! We love all readers :D