Three Curses

Kiana

The next two days passed without great incident, unless you counted Neville melting his sixth cauldron in Potions.

"Longbottom, try not to mess this one up," Snape sneered.

"Sorry Professor.." Neville frowned.

I ditched Harry and walked towards Neville.

"Don't let him bring you down Nev, you can do it. I can tutor you sometime," I smiled.

Neville nodded.

"Kay.. I need someone to vent to.." Neville whispered.

"After class?" I asked.

Neville nodded. Professor Snape, who seemed to have attained new levels of vindictiveness over the summer, gave Neville detention, and Neville returned from it in a state of nervous collapse, having been made to disembowel a barrel full of horned toads. I went back to Harry.

"You know why Snape's in such a foul mood, don't you?" said Jake to Harry as we watched as Hermione taught Neville a Scouring Charm to remove the toad guts from under his fingernails.

"Yeah," said Harry. "Moody."

It was common knowledge that Snape really wanted the Dark Arts job, and he had now failed to get it for the fourth year running. Snape had disliked all of their previous Dark Arts teachers, and shown it - but he seemed strangely wary of displaying overt animosity to Mad-Eye Moody. Indeed, whenever I saw the two of them together - at mealtimes, or when they passed in the corridors - I had the distinct impression that Snape was avoiding Moody's eye, whether magical or normal.

"I reckon Snape's a bit scared of him, you know," Harry said thoughtfully.

"Probably.." I whispered.

The bell rang indicating Potions was over.

"I'll see you guys later," I said hurriedly.

I grabbed Neville's clean hand and ran outside to the black lake.

"You're fast- and strong-" Neville huffed.

I simply nodded.

"What's up Nev?" I asked.

"Well - it's just that my Gran - she goes on about saying I can learn a thing or two from Professor Moody - be great like my parents - " Neville began.

Neville's never spoken about his parents before.

"Neville, what happened to your parents," I asked softly.

Neville looked up and into my eyes. His eyes were red and glistening.

"Bellatrix Lestrange tortured them with the Cruciatus Curse.. lost their minds.." Neville explained.

I froze. Memories of that night hit me again. I pulled Neville into a bone crushing hug.

"I am so sorry Neville.." I sniffled.

Neville bursted into tears.

"I just miss them," Neville cried,"and I want to make them proud."