S.P.E.W

Kiana

Jake, Harry, Ron, Dean, Rosalyn and I were inside the common room doing our homework. Hermione was in the library again. And I waited for Neville to return from Moody's. The Fat Lady swung forward to reveal the entrance hole, and they climbed into the Gryffindor common room, which was crowded and noisy.

"Shall we get our Divination stuff, then?" said Harry.

"I s'pose," Ron groaned.

The three went up to their dorm room to retrieve their books. Neville entered the common room and sat besides Dean and I.

"You all right, Neville?" I asked him.

"Oh yes," said Neville, "I'm fine, thanks. Just reading this book Professor Moody lent me. . . ."

He held up the book: Magical Water Plants of the Mediterranean.

"Apparently, Professor Sprout told Professor Moody I'm really good at Herbology," Neville smiled widely.

"You're great at Herbology," I smiled and Dean nodded in agreement.

"I'm just tutoring Dean here, I can help you if you'd like on other assignments," I smiled.

Neville smiled but shook his head.

"You're busy right now, how about tomorrow?" Neville asked.

I looked at Dean who nodded.

"Can't hog the tutor," he chuckled. "Anyways we're done. I think I'll head up to the dorm want to join Neville?"

Neville immediately nodded. The two sent me a quick wave and ran upstairs. Harry, Jake and Ron came running down the stairs, books in their hands. Harry, Jake and Ron took their copies of Unfogging the Future back down to the common room, found a table, and set to work on their predictions for the coming month. I just finished my homework only to find that an hour later, they had made very little progress, though their table was littered with bits of parchment bearing sums and symbols, and Harry claims his brain was as fogged as though it had been filled with the fumes from Professor Trelawney's fire.

"I haven't got a clue what this lot's supposed to mean," Harry said, staring down at a long list of calculations.

"You know," said Jake, whose hair was on end because of all the times he had run his fingers through it in frustration, "I think it's back to the old Divination standby."

"What - make it up?" Ron asked.

"Yeah," said Jake, sweeping the jumble of scrawled notes off the table, dipping his pen into some ink, and starting to write.

"Next Monday," he said as he scribbled, "I am likely to develop a cough, owing to the unlucky conjunction of Mars and Jupiter." He looked up at Harry. "You know her - just put in loads of misery, she'll lap it up."

"Right," said Harry, crumpling up his first attempt and lobbing it over the heads of a group of chattering first years into the fire. "Okay . . . on Monday, I will be in danger of - er - burns."

"Yeah, you will be," I said darkly, "we're seeing the skrewts again on Monday. "

"Okay, Tuesday, I'll . . . erm . . ." Jake began.