THREE: STAYING HIDDEN

Riley wasn't surprised to see the person she hated most on her tv screen. The FBI had been in shambles lately, apparently because of him.

However, she knew that was a cover-up to find her. He was out there—in fact, they were out there probably tracking her every step as we speak. So, she needed to change. She stood in front of the mirror, looking blankly at her reflection. The girl there wasn't the same—physically—anymore. She was healthier, her skin became clearer. Her body became fuller. The bags under her eyes weren't showing anymore.

Her hair wasn't blonde like her mother's anymore nor long. She cut it to reach her shoulders and dyed it jet black. To protect her identity, she started wearing contacts hiding her deep, brown eyes. It was a start in a new direction of her life. But could she? Could she step into this new path without being seen?

In what seemed like forever, Riley paused in front of an archway. The color scheme of the place seemed to change subtly as she trekked by. Until she saw her father next to a vast island in the center of a white marble paradise. Two stoves were rooted in front of it, right under a fan. Unlike everywhere else in the house, this part was the brightest. Taking it literally, she interpreted the color scheme to fit her life. Ironically...it did.

The brightest part of the entire house...the last spec of hope she clung to. Flickering. She sat down on the stool in front of the island. Her father, Matt West, placed a plate in front of her. "I hope you still love pancakes."

Riley scoffed finding Matt's words a little ridiculous. "Who doesn't love pancakes, dad?" her mouth watered the minute she laid her eyes on the golden stack, drenched in Canadian maple syrup with a small stick of butter on top. "They're the best."

"Well, I don't know who doesn't love pancakes. But you don't have much time. You need to head in—"

Riley finished the pancakes and pushed the plate toward him. She gave a small smile as he looked in awe, shrugging her bag over her shoulder. "The pancakes were amazing, dad. See you later."

He smiled. "Good luck, princess. Have a good day."

Riley made her way to her new car, A matte black BMW, that her father couldn't resist in giving her. It was like he waited for this moment. She eased into the car. The car was a 2020 model with sleek, black leather seats, black body paint with gray streaks. She smiled recalling the first time she sat in the car. While she wasn't expecting to get anything, she knew she couldn't stop him even if she tried to. Riley knew that being the daughter of a boxing legend had its perks—customized cars included.

The fifteen-minute-drive onto the Los Angeles highway went by in a blur. The traffic moved sluggishly, getting in and out of the city, transporting goods and people to their destinations. Typical California fashion. It is possible to get to your destination sufficiently here. As she drove, the trees whip by as it appeared for a second. And before she knew it, she was in her new school's neighborhood.

Not that it was hard to tell. It didn't look much different from the rest of the state...just flags with blue stripes that intercepted each other, making the letter "X" and stars resting in the center. White stripes lining it.

Riley, who had been driving in this unfamiliar territory, looked as if she was unimpressed. Not surprised knowing what the flags meant. The sight of them made her blood boil a little. No matter how hard she argued, her father still dismissed her words and insisted that this was the best school for her to attend. There were two things she couldn't stand for. Ignorance and Racism.

The school came into view and she looked at the bland, beige structure. As her car slowed, already, eyes were glued on her car. She then turned into an empty spot in the parking lot and parked.

She shrugged her bag onto her shoulder and slid out of the car. Not caring that her entrance suddenly grabbed everyone's attention kind of similar to the slow-motion entrance scene of the lifeguards in Baywatch. She slammed the door behind her and made her way inside.

Conveniently, the principal's office was next to the entrance. Riley went inside only to see a woman sitting at a desk on the side, typing away on the computer. Her Blonde hair shaped her face illuminated by the computer screen. The woman stopped and looked up, acknowledging Riley's presence.

"Hello, you must be Riley...we're honored to have you join our school. We believe that everyone deserves the best education and that's what Monroe High School stands for."

Riley looked unimpressed. Nothing on google about this school could impress or prove otherwise. She forced a small smile. "Thank you, ma'am."

"Here's your class schedule. Good luck on your first day. I hope you have an amazing academic year here." The smile was forced. Riley knew it too well. Her teeth gritted against each other; jaw clenched. In the periphery, Riley saw another shadow behind but more to her right. She didn't think anything of it though and went to her next destination, her new locker.

The entire hall had lockers on each side. The silver vaults stood firm against the yellow painted walls. The walk to her locker took five minutes. Without trouble, she opened it, which was resting between two other lockers on each side of her. Riley tossed her jacket inside, pulling her hood off her head. While she didn't care about certain eyes on her, she knew why they were on her. Everything she did seemed like she was making a dramatic entrance or something.

Chuckling, she caught the people staring, who had been in awe the entire time she stood at her locker. "What? Haven't seen another human before?"

One of them scoffed, catching themselves. "This school is full of them. What are you talking about?"

The other shook their head. "Don't mind her. She's just cranky because someone ate her brownies this morning. I'm Carmen." Turn to the one that spoke, she observed them. The girl had brown curly hair and was wearing a baby pinky skirt with knee-high socks and a sweater to match. Her skin was a beautiful golden tan. The girl, who's name was Carmen, held her hand out.

Riley took her hand and shook it. "Riley. Nice to meet you." She then darted at the other girl, Jamie, who seemed to be sizing her up almost. "You too...um..."

"Jamie. Just stay out of my way and we're cool. Got it?"

Unfazed, Riley let out a light chuckle. "Noted." Jamie then grabbed her things and stormed off into the crowd.

"She's not always like this. I swear," Carmen laughed a little. "Give her until tomorrow, she'll warm up eventually. In all seriousness though, you sure know how to make an entrance, new girl." She teased.

One thing's for sure, Riley was starting a new chapter in her life. However, this one might be interesting. She couldn't help but notice very familiar writing in ink against Carmen. The mark of the green chalice. There was something more to this girl, Carmen.

So much more.

author's note

Ok. New banner. What do you guys think? These types of banners or simpler ones?

Yay, we finally meet Carmen and Jamie. I know this is their first appearance, but Jamie is such a mood in the morning. 

The pace of this story is going to be a little bit slower than it was before. A lot of twists might happen.  And the green chalice tattoo. What do you think it might mean? The fact Carmen has it is a little suspicious. 

I hope you guys stay to see how the story unfolds. Anyways, I hope you guys are getting through quarantine well. IT'S FINALLY SUMMER! How are you guys spending your summer? Me, I'm most likely going to finish off this book and probably step up my Netflix binge-watching game. I need new shows to watch, drop recommendations, guys.

Keep being weirdos and weebs,

trnsporting_