NINE : THE OTHER DRAGON PART 2

NINE: THE OTHER DRAGON PART 2

THAT TATTOO.

She couldn't forget it. It bothered her so much that she couldn't sleep. She knew it all too well. The black reptile wrapped itself around his bicep toward his shoulder into the crook of his neck. Which left her perplexed. Why would he be out here? In public and close to me?

It didn't help considering fact that they had the same class together too. He sat behind her and watched. She could feel his eyes on her.

"Long time no see...love," that voice, his voice. As much as she didn't want it to, it still had an effect on her. Chills ran its course along her spine as she stilled. "You're still as beautiful as I remember."

She turned slightly not meeting his eyes—those mysterious deep, earthy brown eyes. However, the black hoodie came into her line of vision. Her eyes were cold and blank. "Keep the lies to yourself."

He leaned closer to her making her turn her attention to the board in front of her. His voice low yet smooth sounded in her ear. "Why would I lie knowing you're the most beautiful woman in here?"

Riley hadn't seen Cameron Newman in two years. But time did him well, like wine, he aged with grace. Tall, broad-shouldered and with sharp features, he was easy to spot in a crowd because he was always at the side leaning against the wall and letting that mysterious aura intimidate anyone came in close vicinity of him. But the hoodie he wore molded to his frame, and lent him a sense of maturity that only came as years flown by. Before, his hair was a lighter black, smooth black berries that caught sunlight. Now, his hair was dark and rich—longer and pushed into a bun at the top of his head and somehow tousled a little like he just woke up. Suddenly, Riley had gotten a flashback to how he looked with his hair falling loosely into his eyes a little bit and the way his muscles flexed as he would push it away from his face propped his elbow; his tired, loving gaze on her...

Riley slightly shook her to forget. Her stomach twisted in a familiar, yet unwanted sensation. She exhaled quietly and tried very, very hard to push the memories away.

"Why are you here, Cameron?" the syllables of his name slipped off her tongue in familiarity and disgust, as though she had spoken of him often. In reality, she didn't. However, she thought a lot about him, wondered if he was ever okay. Betrayed couldn't express how she felt. Clouded in anguish, she hated the fact that she still cared enough to be concerned for him. "I'm sure you have better things to do than to antagonize me."

That calm demeanor he kept up slipped slightly. He stared at the back of her head, then sighed. "You know why I'm here, Riley."

"Of course. Come to tell me more lies? Did you come to bring me back?" her eyes narrowed not caring for the words she had said. "Or is it that you decided to show yourself after watching me this entire time." She spat; pure venom laced in every word. She made sure it was clear to him that she hated him. "Which is it?"

"I'd never let him get to you. You know that."

She was fifteen again. She could picture that moment as clear as day: A timid, gullible young version of herself smiling hopefully with love beaming in her eyes excited to her first love after his fight. Instead, she found a letter on her bed and she read it. Her heart broke in ways she couldn't imagine. From there, everything went downhill.

With him gone, she was training longer hours. She'd have way more fights than usual, winning them all of course. But that wasn't all. Even with a win, their overseer was unsatisfied and angry. He wanted more, and he also saw her in different light. By night, she was clutching bare body shivering in horror as she shed tears of agony.

Abruptly, she raised up as eyes followed her actions. "Excuse me, miss Jameson. May I be excused."

The woman in front of the room smiled warmly. "Of course, dear. Just take one of the hall passes on my desk, okay?"

She nodded and walked towards the door, taking a hall pass with her. Cameron watched her leave in wonder. Something wasn't right. He could feel it. It wasn't long before the anxiousness in him took over, he stood up abruptly and walked towards the door grabbing a hall pass as the teacher called his name. He ignored her and went to find Riley.

First, he went to bathroom--where she had mentioned that she'd be—and girl walked out with her friends talking. "Excuse me, have you seen a girl about your height, curly hair, brown eyes walk by here." She smiled flirtatiously at him, knowing who he was talking about. "Why look for that monkey when you have something so much better standing in front of you?" she stepped up to him, gliding her hand against his chest.

He gently took her hand and pushed it away. "Keep your hands to yourself. I don't know where they've been." Cameron left the girl speechless but also a little shocked. This girl had never been rejected before and she was one of the popular ones too. While walking, he was starting to get a little more worried than he already was. He began to think of other places that she might've been to. Until it clicked.

When he found the door to the staircase, he kicked it opened with urgency and ran up the stairs. He kept running not caring about how tired he may be when he gets to the top. One thing was on his mind, and that was hoping that Riley wouldn't do something she'd regret. As he made it, he slipped through the door. The rooftop.

He frowned when he found her shaking, and curled up into a ball—her knees against her chest and her face hidden between her arms—whimpering softly as though she was calling for help. Slowly, he went to her worried. This was the first time he had seen her like this. Vulnerable. "Riley," he called cautiously. Cameron stooped to her side, taking her hand. He tried to hug her, but she pushed him. So hard, that he landed on the floor, sitting, and staring at her shocked.

The vicious look in her eyes is what he took him by surprise—that wasn't her. That wasn't the Riley he remembered—they looked murderous. "Don't. Touch. Me." He stood up and was about to speak when her phone rang. She was back to normal as if nothing happened and answered her phone."

"What is it?" she answered calmly. "You called about my decision?"

What decision? He watched her closely curious. Riley glanced at him briefly before replying to the person she was talking to.

"Fine. I'll help you. Don't give me a reason to kill you..." she hung up with a sigh, looking at the view. She then turned to Cameron. "Why are you still here?" she asked him coldly.

"Who were you talking to?"

"I asked you a question first." She retorted.

"I came to check up on you. What...what happened to you?"

"Who I speak to and what happened to me is nothing for you to concern yourself with. You didn't care then so why care now, hmm?"

auntor's note 

Ooh, Riley being feisty? We love to see it. And the first glimpse of Cameron. Are you guys ready for the next chapter? You might get some action. Who knows? 

But warning, it might get a little emotional. You might want to grab a trusty box of klenex. I've been seeing some people add my book to their reading lists which is insane to me. I know this book is four years old now. I wrote this on a whim and just posted it for fun. And here I am four years later, finally giving it the pampering it deserves. To my wonderful lovelies who read the first original version, thank you. To my baby lovelies, thank you for coming on the journey. 

Anyway, can we talk about Cameron's new look though? 

All of you are the best. 

Thank you giving this book your love!

See you soon!