ELEVEN: CRASHING 2

(WARNING! grab your tissues, this might be tear-jerker)

NO ONE spoke.

Silence welcomed itself as the honored guest. The tension in the room was suffocating—too difficult for anyone to breathe. In the meantime, Riley's hand was raised for another blow to his face, but she dropped her hand breathing heavily; her eyes becoming glossy. She turned away blinking away those useless tears.

"There was not a minute where I thought of running away. Every moment I woke up, I hoped I could. However, I couldn't do so. Your life and my dad's life would be the price I'd have to pay. I couldn't be the cause of both of your deaths, and I won't now." She told him in a whisper.

He sat there staring at her in shock, but that shock quickly changed when his expression flattened. He cautiously went to her although his injuries became an obstacle for him as he did so. He then wrapped his arms her body which flinched at his touch. "No child should suffer like this for the sake of their families. You didn't deserve any of what happened."

"There were times where I wish he'd kill me already. I was a little girl," she whispered, her voice cracking. "I was just..." a quiet sob left her lips. Zayn hugged her tighter. "He..."

Gently, he rubbed her hair to comfort her. Instead of comfort, it brought something else out of her. Her body began to shake—her eyes were tightly shut—and muffled cries of help left her lips. The little girl that lost herself was here again. Afraid, she violently pushed him away and scurried over to the corner of the room. Rocking to and forth, she kept muttering incoherent words.

Zayn's heart ached at the sight. It ached so much that his own emotions came forward. He wanted to help her. There was another he could do. He would only make it worse. She was dangerous and he realized that the minute she landed a punch on his jaw. As she rocked, he saw the fear. The frightened little girl was on display. She was screaming for help locked away in a cage and no one answered.

No one.

Then she took a deep breath. She stood up and turned towards the door. "I—sorry, you had to see that."

He struggled to stand holding the foot of the bed as he hoisted himself up. "You suffered so much. What's there to be sorry about?" His steps drew close, slow, but cautious. "You sacrificed more than you should have. Lost everything to escape. To be free again."

"A flawed dragon will never be free. A monster will always be a monster no matter how peaceful they maybe," she was about to leave the room, but his hand latched around her wrist gently. She held her head down in shame knowing that she felt her shell was breaking. "Please. Don't show me sympathy. I hate that."

"You think that you deserve what happened to you, don't you?" he asked.

Her lips tightened into a thin line. "Does it matter if I did?"

"You didn't deserve any of that. You just need to rebuild your trust again. There are good—"

"No one is essentially good or evil, Zayn. Even the most kind, compassionate man, has evil intentions. I can never trust anyone again. Don't try to make me do that." She told him trying to be gentle although it stung him a bit.

He decided to change the subject. "What are going to do when you find your father?"

"Show you the real reason why I'm named the Red Dragon "Slash".

"How long?" he asked, stopping her from leaving.

She turned to him, timidly. She sighed indifferently. "What do you mean?"