SEVEN: BAD BUNNIES PART 2

A/N:

This is a continuation of the last chapter. Thank you so much for the support on this book. Back to the daily programming. More action coming soon. Enjoy!

SEVEN: BAD BUNNIES PART 2

"Why are you here? You're not welcomed here," his voice sounded low, chilling almost yet ever so rich. She felt her throat tighten and constrict as she tried to swallow. Something was pressed against her throat. Slowly, her gaze fell from him to his hand. She then averted her gaze back to him.

"I'm not here to fight with you, Eli. If I were, you'd be on the ground already clutching your precious jewels."

A sharp scoff left his lips. He tightened his hold on the objects, pressing it harder against her throat. "And yet, you stand here three seconds from having your throat slit, love," he whispered. A smirk deeply etched within his features. "We wouldn't want that, now would we?"

"Eager to have my blood cover your hands. Predictable. However, we're in public. How about we keep things cordial, hmm?"

He chuckled. "You? Cordial? Cry me a river."

Riley knew that this wasn't going anywhere. So, she sighed giving him the satisfaction he desired. However, she was unfazed by the knife at her throat. Instead, she smiled to herself a little. "Go ahead then. For the sake of your family, kill me. Maybe my dead body will help you sleep properly for once."

Eli was taken aback by her words. He wasn't satisfied in the slightest. However, for the first time in a long time, his heart clenched...for her. He began to question her state. He didn't recognize the person he held at knife point anymore. "Who are you?"

"Does it matter?" she retaliated.

He faltered and lowered the knife from her neck. She let out a sigh in relief only to stiffen as he grabbed her hand. Before she could protest, he led her out of the ballroom and led to another room. He gently pushed her inside making no guard had seen her and locked the door behind him.

"You're not one to give anyone satisfaction, dragon. What happened to you?"

Her gaze fell onto the window nearby avoiding his curious eyes. "What happened to me shouldn't concern you."

"And yet it does. The dragon I know never gave in so easily to anyone."

"I'm not the dragon. I could never be the dragon. I'm a monster living in a human vessel who deserves all the future suffering that will come to her. That's all."

Eli stepped towards her and stopped next to her. Unconsciously, she stepped away still looking out the window. She watched the trees bask in their freedom to sway with the wind envious of them. She stiffened as the memories flashed back to her. She then closed her eyes tightly, pushing the memories back.

"As hard as you try to hide it, it'll come out you know," he mused. "It always does."

"Why do you care?"

"You're on my territory unannounced." He retorted. "And you still didn't answer my question. So, why are you here?"

"Someone invited me."

"Who?"

The door swung open. "That would be me, dad."

Riley spun around. So did Eli. A sudden pause ruled as both of them took in the stranger that entered. In fact, it wasn't a stranger. Riley could recognize those light-brown eyes from anywhere. Her breath caught in dread, praying she didn't hear him call by her other name. A smile tugged at the corner of her lips as she started toward them, ready to greet them.

Before either of them could speak, Eli gave her a look warning her. "What did I tell you about inviting people over without asking me, Carmen?"

Her smile didn't falter nor was she phased by his look. "I did ask you. You were too busy with your work and planning to send me off to some stranger to realize my presence," she retaliated, before her lips turned into a hint of a smirk that seemed almost grim. "You also said yes."

Eli stood his ground. Riley's eyes widened a little. With a sense of timid, Riley stepped away from them both. Neither of them looked at her. Once Riley was out of their conversation, she kept her focus on the nature that seemed her only sense of comfort these days.

"Carmen don't start with me. This is not the time to argue," he warned.

She scoffed. "Whatever, dad."

"How do you two know each other?" he asked.

"We go to school together. Come on, Riley," she motioned Riley to follow her. Riley let out another of her solemn sighs.

"I can't."

Carmen turned to her, furrowing her brows. "Why not?"

On instinct, she quick thought of a way to get out of a situation she didn't want to be in—this one for that matter—and created her escape. "My dad just called. He said he needed me at his gym."

She frowned. "Oh..."

"Sorry," she gave Carmen an apologetic look. "I'll try to visit sometime."

"Alright," she replied. "You better."

"I'll meet you at the door."

She nodded and left the room.

"Aren't you supposed to be with him right now?" he asked.

She stiffened. "That's none of your business."

A hint of a smirk graced the corners of his lips. "You escaped, didn't you?"

Surely, she knew that it would come to this. Someone was going to ask her about it. It's just that it was too quick. Then he said something that she least expected him to say or anyone for that matter.

"I can help you know." He offered.

She chuckled. "Why would you want to help me, Eli? For all I know, you can send me back there and leave me to suffer, not that I don't deserve it anyway."

"No one deserves suffering. Not even you, Riley."

"That's where you're wrong, Eli. I deserve it more than you would know," she returned, a knowing smile tugged at her lips. "For what I've done, I deserve to die."

"As much as I want you dead, a part of me doesn't," he admitted with a warm smile. "With all the pain you've caused on my family, even in that, I can't bring myself to wish death on you. I'm a family-man and I stay true that. No father deserves to lose their daughter for another. I'm sure your father has experienced it once and can't afford to experience it again. A father's worst fear is having to bury his own daughter."

"What do you want?" she asked, knowing him too well.

"I'll keep your whereabouts secret from him in exchange for any information you know on that group he likes to keep at phone-line lengths," he held his hand out, a smirk widening across his lips. That knowing smile on her face grew wider as a rich chuckle left her lips.

"You want me to work with you against them, knowing full well they might be watching."

Might be? They are watching you, fool.

"Exactly," he replied, smugly. "As for them watching, I can also keep them off your back. So, do we have a deal?"

"I'll think about it. Until then, keep your daughter off my back. She can't know about this."

"You have my word, dragon."

And with that in mind, she was off. She wondered if by doing this, will she truly have the freedom she dreamed of ever since she was there.