THIRTEEN: SCARS THAT CAN'T HEAL

HE was waiting for her.

He stood by his car leaning against the door facing the hospital. While waiting, his thoughts were pacing around as he viewed his cards. A hand of seven cards and he needed to play them right. The minute he saw her walking out of the building, he approached her.

"Really?" he asked her coldly. "That's how we do things?"

"What are you talking about?" she asked playing innocent walking past him.

He grabbed her wrist lightly. "Don't play dumb with me, Riley. You know what the hell I'm talking about."

She peeled his hand off her wrist, her back turned to him. "Don't. Touch. Me." The venom within her voice spilled creating a wall between him and her. "Keep your filthy hands to yourself."

Cameron chuckled. "Of all the things you do, you sent Eli after me. Do you hate me that much, love?"

Without a word, she tried to walk away from him. Before she could make her way any further, he grabbed her wrist again. "You didn't answer my question, doll." With her back turned to him, she stilled at his touch. Her mind falling back into that sunken place again.

"Let my hand go, Cameron," her tone was a warning. Her blood had begun to run cold almost artic. He couldn't see them, but her eyes were losing the fire she had in them this entire time. It felt like part of herself was breaking away again. The disgust she felt on herself was returning. It felt like leeches latching onto her the minute he touched her. "Let. Me. Go."

As she repeated herself, he didn't listen not knowing he was pushing her to that place. The fire she kept for so long was burning her from the inside. All it was leaving a cloud of poison hanging above her. So, she pulled him off by force. Hands shaking, eyes frantic, she headed to her car quickly ignoring his calls for her. His heart ached and stung. Shocked, he couldn't process the look on her face. It wasn't that she was scared. It was the fact that it wasn't her. So, he couldn't help but wonder.

What happened to her? Curious, he decided to follow her. He drove about three cars behind her heading through the route she took. That route led him to a clinic. Why was she heading there? Is there something wrong? While sitting in his car, he watched as she walked up to the entrance. There, stood a man not as tall as him, but toned. His hair buzzed with hints of gray in it with warm brown eyes. Cameron watched as the man held his arms out to her. He watched—with his heart on fire—as Riley willingly hugged the man.

The question ran through his mind. However, there couldn't be anything going on between them, right? He noticed her smile. Although small and fragile, there was a bit of content in it. The two went inside leaving Cameron with nothing until his eye caught something. Nearby, a woman in black stood. A black van parked near to the trees in the hopes of not being seen. Knowing who could be, he cursed under his breath and finally decided to enter the building not before his phone rang halting him from doing so.

"What is it?" he answered.

"Boss, remember those girls you told me to get information on, the ones who were around your girl?"

"Go on," he said interested.

"Well, one of them is Carmen Torres. Eli's daughter. And the other, Jamie Sanchez."

"I knew about Carmen. But what's the Jamie girl got to do with her."

"You're not going to like—"

"Spare the drama pause and tell me, Rico," Cameron rolled his eyes annoyed. "I have a stubborn ex-girlfriend to deal with."

"One of the guys saw that Jamie girl put a tracking device on Riley. Not only that, she works with the old stealth team meaning she—"